“AV Booster” (www.pcbooster.com) is a Rogue antivirus software that gets on your computer as a bundled software when you download and install other free software from the Internet. When “AV Booster” is installed on your computer, it runs on Windows Start-up and asks to enter (buy) a serial key to activate the program. The “AV Booster” looks legitimate but if you want to uninstall the program from your computer (from 'Control Panel' > "Add/Remove Programs"), then your computer freezes and the only way to get your computer back in operation is to shut it down using the power button.
In case that you don’t want to buy “AV Booster” and you want to remove the program from your computer, then follow the instructions given below:
How to uninstall “AV Booster” Antivirus software from your computer.
Step 1: Terminate “AV-Booster” running process.
1. Press simultaneously the "Ctrl + Alt + Del" keys on your keyboard.
2. Select “Start Task Manager”.
3. At “Processes” tab, select the “AVTray.exe” process and click the “End Process” button.
4. Close “Task Manager” and continue to the next step.
Step 2. Uninstall "AV Booster” app from your Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove (Uninstall) these programs :
- AVBooster (by “Energizersoft Tech”)
- Any other App from “Energizersoft Tech” publisher.
- Any other unknown or unwanted application.
3a. Uncheck the “Keep User Settings” & “Keep Quarantine Settings” options and press “OK”.
3b. In the following window, check the “Automatically close applications and attempt to restart them after setup is complete” and press “OK”.
Step 3. Clean malicious processes and programs with “RogueKiller”.
1. Download and save "RogueKiller" utility on your computer'* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system's version. To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Let the prescan to complete (terminate malicious processes) and then press on "Scan" button to perform a full scan.
3. When the full scan is completed, press the "Delete" button to remove all malicious items found.
Step 4. Delete Malicious Folders & Files
Notice: You must enable the hidden files view to perform this task. To do that go to:
- Start > Control Panel > Folder Options. Click the "View" tab.
- Click "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" &
- Uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files"
- Press "OK"
1. Navigate to the following paths & delete the following folder(s) (in bold):
- C:\Program Files\.AV Booster_2014-03-05T104923
2. Select & delete all files and folders under “C:\Temp” folder.
Step 5: Clean Adware & Unwanted Browser Toolbars.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 6. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO:
*If you don’t know how to install and use “MalwareBytes Anti-Malware“, read these instructions.
Advice: To ensure your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in windows “Safe mode“.*
*To get into Windows Safe mode, press the “F8” key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo. When the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to move to the Safe Mode option and then press “ENTER“.