So, you have captured a video with your cellphone or another video capturing device and you want to extract the included audio to play it on your MP3 player or your mobile phone?
This tutorial guides you on how to use VLC Media Player to convert your video to audio. *
Notice*: If you do a simple search on the internet, you can find many free utilities to do that job, but I prefer to use (and suggest) only safe programs for doing my job, without the presence of malicious software inside them or inside their installers.
How to extract Audio from Video / Convert Video to MP3 :
Step 1: Download VideoLan VLC Media Player.
1. Download and Install “VLC Media Player” from here : http://www.videolan.org/
Step 2: Convert your video to mp3.
1. Open “VLC Media Player” by:
a. Double Clicking at “VLC Media Player” icon on your desktop, or
b. From Start > Programs > VideoLan > VLC Media Player
2. In the VLC Media Player main menu go to “Media” > “Convert / Save”.
3. At “Open Media” options at “File” tab, choose “Add…” to add the video* that you want to convert to audio and then press the drop-down arrow on the right of “Convert / Save” button and choose “Convert“.
Notice*: You can add here any video type you like: e.g. YouTube Video (.FLV), Quick Time Video (.MOV), AVI, WMF, etc.
4. While in “Convert” options, choose your profile output: e.g. “Audio – MP3”.
5. Press “Tools” button on the right side to edit the selected profile.
6. In profile settings, find and click the “Audio codec” tab.
7. Inside “Audio codec” settings define your preferred Codec* (“MP3”), Bitrate, Channels and Sample Rate values.
Notice*: You can use VLC Media Player to convert your video to any audio format you want: MP3, WAV, AAC, etc.
(e.g. If you want to save the extracted audio as a “WAV” audio file format, then click the drop down arrow in Codec section and click “WAV”.)
Recommendations for maximum quality:
– Bitrate: 320 kb/s
– Channels: 2 (Stereo)
– Sample Rate: 44100
Press “Save” when finish.
8. At “Convert” options window, choose “Browse“, to specify the destination folder (e.g. “Desktop”) and the file name for the extracted audio file.
9. In “Save file” window:
a. Type a filename for the extracted audio with the “.mp3” extension at the end of the filename:
b. Press “Save”.
10. In “Convert” window press “Start” to start the conversion.
11. As “Conversion” process is executed, you see the following screen:
12. When the “Conversion” process is completed, you can play the extracted audio file in any media player you like.