Last updated on January 14th, 2019
Malware is any malicious software that is programmed to affect computer operation. For that reason, it is essential to scan your computer for malware programs that may be running on it, before you proceed to troubleshoot your computer for hardware or software problems you may be experiencing like Blue Screen of Death
(BSOD) errors, Unrecognized devices, DLL file errors, installation or uninstall problems, unresponsive system, etc.
Use this guide to scan and clean your computer for Malware, before you try to resolve any problem that you face on your computer. For heavy infected computers follow the virus removal steps from this article: Full Malware Scan & Removal Guide to Clean Heavy Infected Computers.
ATTENTION: All the Anti-Malware programs and removal tools that suggested in this guide are totally FREE.
Notice: If you cannot download any of the bellow suggested programs on the infected computer, then you can download them from another clean computer and transfer them (e.g. by using a USB flash disk) on the infected computer.
How to easily check your computer for Viruses, Trojans, Rootkits, etc.) for FREE
Step 1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
In order to check your computer for possible Malware programs running on it, it is better to start your computer in Safe mode with Network support. Then follow the instructions of the rest steps below, to download and install the suggested malware removal utilities to scan and clean your computer.
To start Windows in Safe mode with Networking:
3. Click the Boot tab and then check the Safe Boot & Network options.
4. Click OK and restart your computer. *
* Note: When you done, with the malware cleaning, then open the System Configuration (msconfig) utility again and at General tab, select Normal Startup and then click OK, to start Windows normally.
Step 2: Terminate known running malicious processes with RKill.
1. Download and Save RKill* to you desktop. RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.
* Notice: RKill is offered under under different filenames because some malware will not allow processes to run unless they have a certain filename. Therefore when attempting to run RKill, if a malware terminates it please try a different filename.
2. Run RKill and let the program to terminate any malicious processes that may running.
3. When RKill is finished press OK and continue to the next step.
Step 3: Remove Adware programs with AdwCleaner.
1. Download and save AdwCleaner utility to your desktop. AdwCleaner is a powerful utility to clean all the Adware, Toolbars, PUP & Hijacker programs from your computer.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open AdwCleaner from your desktop.
3. After accepting the “License Agreement”, press the Scan Now button.
4. When the scan is completed, press Clean & Repair to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. When asked, click Clean and Restart Now.
5. After restart, close AdwCleaner's information (log) window and continue to the next step.
Step 4. Remove Malware with Malwarebytes Free.
Click the link below, to download and install Malwarebytes Premium one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today in order to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from viruses and malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend to buy the Malwarebytes Premium.
How to download & Install Malwarebytes:
1. Click the Free Download button at Malwarbytes Download page to download the Malwarebytes Premium TRIAL version. *
* Note: After the 14-day trial period, Malwarebytes reverts to a free version but without real-time protection for ransomware, viruses or malware programs.
2.When the download is completed, double click at the downloaded file, to install Malwarebytes Premium.
3. At the installation screens, choose your preferred language, and just press the Next button in all installation screens, to install the product.
4. When the installation is completed, click Finish.
How to Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.0.
1. Launch Malwarebytes Premium Trial and wait until the program updates its antivirus database.
2. When the update process is completed, press the Scan Now button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, select all detected malware infections (if found) and then press the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats from your computer.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
Step 5. Scan and Remove Viruses with your Antivirus Program.
Open your Antivirus program and perform a full scan for viruses on your computer. *
* Suggestion: Before scanning your system with your antivirus program, download and run the ESET Online Scanner, (Standalone Virus Removal Utility) to clean your computer from threats.
- Related articles:
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.