Last updated on July 5th, 2019
Nowadays many manufacturers don’t include a copy of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. OS installation DVD with their systems, so it’s impossible to perform a clean install or troubleshoot your computer if you want to. Microsoft on the other hand doesn’t offer a download of Windows 8 in an ISO file, as she did before, but gives you the opportunity to download the Windows 8.1.
This tutorial is written for users that already have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 legally on their systems and they want to download a
Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 copy in a ISO file in order to perform a clean installation of the operating system using a USB or DVD disk.
How to Download and Install Windows 8.1
1 . Download the Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO file) from here.
3. Read the following article to find the installed Windows product key:
4. Boot you PC from the DVD or the USB and install Windows 8.1. *
1. For installation a product key is required. You can use your own product key or to use one of the following generic keys (use them only for installation):
—– WINDOWS 8 & WINDOWS 8.1 GENERIC KEYS ——–
- Windows 8.0 or 8.1: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
- Windows 8.0 N or 8.1 N: 6NPQ8-PK64X-W4WMM-MF84V-RGB89
- Windows 8.0 Professional or Windows 8.1 Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
- Windows 8.0 Professional N or Windows 8.1 Professional N: JRBBN-4Q997-H4RM2-H3B7W-Q68KC
- Windows 8.0 Single Language or Windows 8.1 Single Language: Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
2. After installation you have to use your own product key to activate Windows. To do that:
- Right-Click at My Computer & select Properties.
- Select Change Product Key (or Activate Windows) and enter the product key you own.
— Alternate method to change your product key after install —
1. Press Win + R keys.
2. At Run box type changepk & press Enter.
3. Type your product key,
3. If you bought a Windows 8.1 computer on which the OS was pre-installed from the computer manufacturer then use the get_win8key open script tool to retrieve the Windows 8.x product key from BIOS. Write down the retrieved key for backup reasons or activation problems.
4. If Windows 8 or 8.1 product is embedded in BIOS, then Windows should self-activate after installation without prompting for your key.
– To be able to boot from the USB or DVD device you must enter your BIOS settings, and change the boot order. To do that:
(With the Windows 8 USB or DVD bootable disk already inserted).
1. Enter the BIOS settings by pressing "DEL" or "F1" or "F2" or "F10". (The way to enter into BIOS Settings depends on the computer manufacturer.)
2. Inside Bios menu, find "Boot Order" setting. This setting is commonly found inside "Advanced BIOS Features" menu.
3a. Navigate to “First Boot Device” option press “Enter”.
3b. Navigate with your keyboard arrows to select “USB-HDD” or the DVD device as “First Boot Device” and then press “Enter”.
4. Press “ESC” to return to the BIOS main menu & select “Save and Exit Setup” to save your selections and exit from BIOS CMOS Setup Utility.
5. Continue with Windows installation.