Last updated on October 5th, 2020
The Photoshop CC 2018/2017 error in Preferences "An integer between 96 and 8 is required. Closest value inserted" commonly appears on systems running Windows 10 with less that 2GB RAM. The "integer between 96 and 8 is required" error in Photoshop, appears when you try to access the Performance preferences (Edit > Preferences > Performance), after updating Windows 10.
This tutorial contains instructions to resolve the following errors in Photoshop CC 2018 & 2017 in Windows 10:
- An integer between 96 and 8 is required. Closest value inserted
- Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data
- Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)
- There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer & reopened any document
How to FIX: Photoshop CC 2018-2017 error "An integer between 96 and 8 is required" in Windows 10.
1. Close Photoshop.
2. Open the Registry Editor. To do that:
3. Navigate to the following registry key according to your Photoshop version: *
- Photoshop CC 2018: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\120.0
- Photoshop CC 2017: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\110.0
4. Select the "120.0" key if your have Photoshop 2018, or the "110.0" for Photoshop 2017).
5. At the right pane create a new DWORD value with name "OverridePhysicalMemoryMB". To do that:
a. Right click at an empty space and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
b. Give the name OverridePhysicalMemoryMB and press Enter.
6. Double click at the newly created value and modify the Value Data as follows:
a. Choose Decimal.
b. In the Value Data field, modify the value from 0 to a numeric value in Megabytes according the installed RAM on your system. (1GB = 1024MB). For example, if you have 4GB RAM type 4096, for 8 GB type 8192, for 16GB type 16384, etc..
c. When done, click OK.
7. Close the Registry Editor and open Photoshop.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.