Last updated on October 1st, 2020
In this tutorial you 'll step by step instructions on how you can stop a Windows service that cannot be stopped with error "Unable to stop service. The operation could not be completed. The requested control is not valid for this service". Additionally, you 'll learn how to force stop any service when the "Stop" option is greyed out in Services (services.msc).
If you cannot stop a service from Services panel, then you can to terminate the service from Command Prompt or from PowerShell. Keep in mind, however, that critical Windows services cannot be stopped in any way.
How to fix: Unable to Stop service. Access is Denied.
Method 1. How to Stop a Service from Command Prompt.
To terminate a running service from command prompt:
1. In Services, right click On the Service that you cannot stop and select Properties.
2. Notice the Service Name.
3. Open Command prompt as administrator and give the following command to get the PID of the service that you want to stop.
- sc queryex ServiceName
* Note: Where ServiceName = the name of the service you noticed in the previous step.
e.g. sc queryex TabletInputService
4. Now type this command to kill the service:
- taskkill /F /PID ServicePID
1. Where ServicePID = the PID of the service you noticed in the previous step.
2. If after executing the above command, you receive the error "The process with PID xxxx could not be terminated. Reason: Access is denied.", then try to stop the service from PowerShell. (Method-2)
e.g. taskkill /F /PID 476
Method 2. How to Stop a Service from PowerShell.
To force stop a running service from PowerShell:
1. Follow the steps 1-3 in the method-1 above, to get the PID of the service that you want to stop.
2. Open PowerShell as Administrator.
3. In PowerShell, give the following command:
- kill -id PID
* Note: Where PID = the PID of the service you want to terminate. (e.g. "kill -id 476")
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.