Last updated on August 30th, 2018
This tutorial contains instructions to fix the following error when trying to upgrade Windows 10 to its latest version (e.g. to v1803): "Some Apps Need to be Uninstalled. These programs need to be uninstalled because they aren't compatible with the Upgrade…" and when pressing the "Uninstall and continue" button your receive another error message that says "We couldn't uninstall these apps" and both the error messages reports the name of the incompatible application that prevent the Windows 10 Upgrade.
The problem, with the "Some apps needs to be removed – We couldn't uninstall these apps" update error(s), is that the reported on the error message incompatible application does not appear to be installed on the machine.
How to Remove Incompatible applications that Prevent Windows 10 Update.
If you cannot update Windows 10 because of an incompatible App, then you have to uninstall the App from your system and then to install the update. But, if the incompatible App is not listed at the installed programs, then you have to manually resolve the "We couldn't uninstall these apps" issue, by finding and deleting manually all the files that are associated with the incompatible App.
Method 1. Automatically Remove the Blocking App (Files).
1. Download and unzip the "AppRPS.zip" file from https://aka.ms/AppRPS
2. From the extracted folder right click at appraiser batch file and select Run as administrator.
3. The AppRaiser Script will find and delete the blocking file(s).
4. Restart your computer and then install the update.
Method 2. Manually Remove Incompatible App's Files.
Step 1. Enable Hidden Files View.
1. Open Windows Explorer (File Explorer).
2. Click the View tab and go to Options -> Change folder and search options.
3. At "Folder Options" select the View tab:
a. Check the Show hidden files, folders, and drives checkbox.
b. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box. (Click Yes to confirm.)
c. Click Apply to folders and then click OK.
Step 2. Manually Find and Delete the Incompatible Files.
1. In Windows Explorer, select This PC on the left.
2. On the search bar type: *_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml
3. Right-click on the file that ends with _APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml and select: Open with –> Notepad.
4. Press CTRL+F to open Find and type in DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication.
5. Make sure (or change) the value of 'DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication' to True.
5. Press CTRL+F again and type: LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded
* Info: The "Value" of the 'LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded', shows the path of the blocking application.
6. Mark & copy the 'LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded' value (path) on the clipboard.
7. Then paste the copied value (path) in the Explorer's address bar and press Enter.
8. Delete the file that is causing the "Some Apps Need to be Uninstalled" problem. *
* Note: if you cannot delete the blocking file, then try to move it to another location on the disk (e.g. your Desktop) or restart your computer in Safe Mode and then delete it.
9. Restart your computer.
10. Install Updates.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.