Last updated on September 9th, 2020
This tutorial contains instructions on how to fix the following problem when upgrading Windows 10: the Windows Setup fails at 60% and displays the error "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
The error "Windows could not configure one or more system components" in Windows 10 upgrade, commonly occurs in machines where the IIS (Internet Information Services) feature has installed. In other cases, the problem occurs when ESET Antivirus is installed with SSL scanning enabled.
How to FIX: Windows could not configure one or more system components in Windows 10 Upgrade.
Method 1. Disable the SSL Scanning in Antivirus program.
If you have the ESET Antivirus installed, then proceed and disable the SSL scanning. *
* Note: If you don't have ESET proceed as follows:
a. Check if your AV product has a similar setting to disable the SSL scanning.
b. Temporarily disable or uninstall any third-party Antivirus program and try to install the update.
c. If the update fails again, proceed to the next method.
To Turn off the SSL/TLS protocol filtering in ESET:
1. Open the ESET AV main program and navigate to Advanced setup. (F5)
2. Click WEB AND EMAIL, at the left and then expand the SSL/TLS settings.
3. At Enable SLS/TLS Protocol filtering mode, drag the slider to OFF and then click OK.
4. Restart your PC and try to install the Windows 10 update.
Method 2. Uninstall Internet Information Services (IIS)
The second method to resolve the error "Windows could not configure one or more system components" in Windows 10 upgrade, is to uninstall the IIS feature *. To do that:
* Note: If you 're using the IIS, reinstall it after updating Windows.
1. From Control Panel open Programs and Features.
2. Click Turn Windows features on or off.
3. Unselect the Internet Information Services and click OK. *
* Note: If you receive any error, after disabling IIS, proceed to the next method.
4. Restart the computer and try to install the Update.
Method 3. Re-Create the 'MachineKeys' folder.
The third method to fix the Windows 10 upgrade error "Windows could not configure one or more system components" is to recreate the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys" folder.
* Info: The 'MachineKeys' folder is the store location for the certificate keys used by IIS, Internet Explorer or other services. Some times, the 'MachineKeys' folder (or one of the contained keys) becomes corrupted, and prevent the Windows installer to upgrade Windows.
Step 1. Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode.
3. At the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option.
4. Click OK and restart your computer. *
* Note: In order to boot Windows normally again, open the System Configuration utility again and uncheck the "Safe Boot" option.
Step 2. Delete the Certificate keys.
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. From the View menu, check the Hidden items box.
3. Now navigate to the following folder:
4. Rename the MachineKeys folder to MachineKeys.OLD
5. Create a new folder and name it MachineKeys
(At the end of the process you should have a similar screen)
6. Now, navigate to the following folder:
7. Rename the folder inetsrv to inetsrv.old
Step 3. Start Windows normally.
1. Run the 'msconfig' utility again.
2. At General tab, select the Normal startup and click OK.
Step 4. Uninstall IIS.
1. Follow the steps in method-2 above, to uninstall IIS.
2. Restart the computer and try to install the update.
Method 4. Force Windows to re-create the Windows Update Store folder.
The next method to fix problems with the updates in Windows 10, is to recreate the Windows Update Store folder ("C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"), which is the location where Windows stores the downloaded updates. To do that:
3. Right click on Windows Update service and select Stop.
4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
5. Select and Delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder.*
(Click Continue at "Folder Access Denied" window).
* Note: The next time that the Windows Update will run, a new empty SoftwareDistribution folder will be automatically created by Windows to store updates.
Method 5. Update Windows 10 using the Update Assistant.
1. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
2. When asked, click to Run the downloaded file in order to start the installation immediately, or click the Save button to run the installer later.
3. Finally click the Update Now button and follow the on screen prompts to install the Update.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.