In some cases you have to convert MKV to MP4 video format, because the MKV video format is not compatible with all digital devices or Media Players. The MKV (Matroska Multimedia Container) video format is a powerful video format that supports high definition quality, but Apple's devices (e.g. iPad Air, iPad Mini 4, iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPod Touch 6, AppleTV) don't support it. Also an MKV video cannot be added on iTunes which support only MP4 and QuickTime formats, or on the Sony Vegas video editing program.
To bypass MKV compatibility, you can use the free VLC Media Player program to convert the .mkv video format to .mp4 video without loosing MKV's video quality.
- Related article: Convert MKV to MP4 by using MkvToMp4 converter.
In this tutorial you can find detailed instructions on how to easily convert any MKV video file to an MP4 video by using VLC Media Player.
How to convert MKV to MP4 in VLC Media Player (Windows & MAC)
1. Download and install VLC Media Player from: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
2. Launch VLC Media Player and from the main menu select Media > Convert/Save
3. At the File tab click the Add button.
4. Choose the .mkv video file that you want to convert and click Open.
5. Click the Convert/Save button.
6. At the Profile select: Video –H.264 +MP3 (MP4) and then click the Settings icon next to it.
7A. At Encapsulation tab select MP4/MOV
7B. At Video codec tab, check both the Video and the Keep original video track checkboxes.
7C. At Audio codec tab, check both the Audio and the Keep original audio track checkboxes and then click the Save button.
8. Click the Browse button.
9. Specify the destination and give a filename for the converted MP4 video file. When done click the Save button.
10. Finally click the Start button.
11. Wait until the MPV to MP4 converting process is complete.
12. Navigate to the destination folder to find the converted mp4 video file*
* Note: If you have audio delay problems while playing the converted MP4 video file, then from the main menu navigate to Tools > Track Synchronization and modify the Audio track synchronization setting (to positive or negative time), or – even better – convert your MKV to MP4 by using the MkvToMp4 converter.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.