Last updated on December 31st, 2018
This tutorial contains instructions to convert Windows Server 2016 Evaluation version to Licensed. As you know all Evaluations versions is available for testing for 180 days and after that period you must convert the Evaluation version to Licensed first and to use a valid product key in order to activate Windows Server 2016 and use all its features without problems.
How to Convert Evaluation Server 2016 to Licensed Version.
1. Open PowerShell as Administrator and give the following command to find the installed version of Server 2016:
- DISM /Online /Get-CurrentEdition
2. Then give the following command to convert the Server 2016 Evaluation version to Full Retail (Licensed):
- DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerEdition /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula
1. In the above command, change the ServerEdition according to the installed version. e.g. If the installed edition is the "ServerStandarEval" then the command is:
- DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula
2. If you have a KMS host running in your deployment, then you can use a KMS Product key for activation or you can use the KMS key to convert the Evaluation version to licensed and then (after the conversion), to change the product key and activate Windows by using the slmgr.vbs /ipk command.
3. When the operation is completed, press the "Y" key to reboot the Server and apply changes.
That's all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.