How to Record Screen in Windows 10 for Free.
If you want to find out the best way to record screen in Windows 10 for free, then continue reading this article. On Windows 10, you can record your PC screen to a video, without having to purchase a recording software, either by using the Xbox Game Bar recording utility which is embedded in Windows 10, or by using a free recording software as suggested in this article.
In this tutorial, we present 3 different screen recorders that are free and will help you to record any action you make on your screen on your Windows 10 computer. After reading the instructions below, you will be able to create a video tutorial with your on-screen actions, to record a YouTube video, or to record a video of your game play to show to your friends.
How to Record Screen with Audio on Windows 10.
Suggestion: To ensure the proper function of the below screen recording programs and to get the best results, update the video card's driver to its latest version.
How to record a video clip with Xbox Game Bar.
Windows 10 Game Bar is a built-in screen capture tool that Windows 10 offers, and is a part of the Game DVR feature which offered by the Xbox app. In general, the Game bar is a nice screen recording utility, especially to record your gameplay, but it doesn't work in all situations. For example, you cannot use the Game bar to record your actions in File Explorer or in your Desktop, and also doesn't work at all if you don't have the proper hardware requirements.
To record your screen in Windows 10, using Xbox Game Bar:
1. Navigate to Start menu -> Settings -> Gaming.
2. Toggle to ON the "Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar" switch.
3. Open the app you want to record in a video. (e.g. your web browser with a YouTube video, an Office application, or the game you play, etc.). *
* Note: To record a YouTube video, start playing the video, pause it, and then continue below.
4. Press the Windows + G keys, to open the Game Bar.
5. When the Game bar settings opens:
a. Press the Windows + ALT + R keys to Start the recording, or click the Record button at 'Broadcast and Capture' options window.
b To Stop the recording, press the Windows + ALT + R keys again.
6. When the screen recording is completed, you will see a message that informs you that the video clip is recorded. Click on that message to navigate to the location where the video clip is stored. Alternately, open File Explorer and navigate to "C:\Users\UserName\My Documents\My Videos\Captures\" folder, to find the recorded video clip.
Other notes about the Game Bar app.
1. You can start the Game bar recording only if you have already opened the app/video that you want to record. Preferably, open your game/video to windowed mode and then start the recording.
2. The recorded videos are saved in .MP4 format.
3. By default the audio recording is muted. If you want to record the sound/audio, press the microphone icon at 'Broadcast and Capture' options window.
4. To view/modify all the Game bar settings click the cogwheel icon.
How to use OSB Studio to Record or Stream your Screen in Windows 10.
The second free screen recorder software we tested is the OBS studio, which offered by the Open Broadcaster Software. The OBS Studio is a powerful and flexible screencast video production and streaming tool, which is available for Windows, MacOS and Linux.
Overall, OBS Studio is a very powerful software for capturing or streaming your computer screen, with many settings to get the desired result.
Step 1. Install and Configure OBS Studio.
1. Download and install OBS Studio.
2. Launch the OBS Studio. When you open OBS Studio for first time, you 'll be asked if you want to run the Auto configuration wizard. Click Yes to continue. *
* Note: You can run the configuration wizard at anytime later, from the Tools menu > Auto-configuration Wizard.
3. If you don't want to streaming, then select Optimize just for recording, I will not be streaming and click Next.
4. At the next screen leave the suggested video settings, or select the size of the video resolution and the FPS (frames per second) you want, and click Next.
5. At the end of the configuration wizard, click Apply Settings.
6. By default, OBS Studio is set to capture your system default desktop audio device and microphone. If you want to set a different audio or microphone device to capture, then click the Settings (cogwheel) icon, next to the Audio or the Mic device.
Step 2. Record Screen to a Video clip with OBS Studio.
1. To start capturing with OSB Studio, you must specify a Video source. To do that, click the + button and select a source from the listed sources. (e.g. select 'Game Capture' if you want to capture your Gameplay, 'Window' to capture any program, 'Display Capture' to capture your entire monitor, etc.).
* For example: If you want to capture in a video your movements on an already open File Explorer window, select 'Windows Capture'.
2. By default, the recording audio level is set to its maximum position. To adjust the audio level click and drag the slider to your preferred position.
3. When you 're ready, click the Start Recording button to create your video.
4. Whenever you want to end the recording, click the Stop Recording button.
5. To locate the video file that OBS Studio has just recorded, click on File menu and then select Show Recordings, to automatically navigate to the directory where the video is saved. *
1. The default store location, of the OBS Studio videos, is the 'Videos' folder (in "C:\Users\UserName\My Documents\My Videos\").
2. The recorded videos are saved by default in .flv format. If you want to save your videos to another video format (mp4, mkv, mov, etc.), then:
a. Click the Settings button.
b. Select Output on the left and then modify the Recording format setting.
How to use ShareX to Capture Screen in Windows 10.
The third program we tested for screen recording, is the ShareX which is a free open-source screen recording program for Windows. ShareX can capture or record a selected area from the screen with a single keypress and automatically saves the recorded file to your hard disk.
To take a video of your screen with ShareX:
1. Download and install ShareX
2. Launch the ShareX.
3. Press the SHIFT + Print Screen keys.
4. The cursor will change to a cross.
a. Drag the cross to the top left-hand corner of the window that you want to record.
b. Press and keep pressed the left mouse button and select the area that you want to record.
c. When done release the left mouse button.
5. The screen recording should start. To stop recording press the Stop button.
6. To view the recorded video, open the ShareX program and at the right pane, you will see the recording you have just made.
To Record Screen with Audio in ShareX
By default ShareX, doesn't record audio. To record your screen with audio in ShareX (e.g. a YouTube video):
1. Click Task Settings on the left.
2. Select Screen Recorder on the left and then click the Screen Recording options button on the right.
3. At Screen Recording options, click Install recorder devices.
4a. Click Yes to User Account Control.
4b. Click Next and then click Install to install the Recorder Devices.
4c. When the installation ends, proceed and select the recording audio source, from the drop-down menu:
a. Virtual-audio-recorder: Select this source, if you want to record the audio from a video you watch on your screen (e.g. on YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
b. Microphone: select this source if you want to record audio from your microphone device.
4d. Close the Screen Recording Options.
5. Press the SHIFT + Print Screen keys and select the area that you want to capture.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
We're looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It's about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.
March 11, 2022 @ 8:20 am
Thanks for sharing! Actually I am using Camtasia and Joyoshare VidiKit, both of them are not free. They can help me screen record, and edit video. Even though both of them are doing very well, but if the free one is also do a very good job, I prefer the free one!