If you own a Work or School Google Account, (aka "Google for business" or "Google Workspace" account), then in this article you'll learn how to request read receipts in GMAIL.
There are several reasons why you might need to track whether or not your email has been read. For example, you may be sending an important message to a client or colleague and need to follow up if they have opened it yet.
Or, you might be coordinating a meeting or event and need everyone to confirm that they've seen the details.
Requesting a read receipt is an excellent way to make sure that your message has been received and seen by the intended recipient. Other than that, read receipts can also be used as a form of confirmation.
How to Request or Return a Read Receipt in Google Mail.
Gmail comes with a built-in feature that allows you to request or return read receipts. However, this feature is only available if you use Gmail for work or school* set up by an administrator. If you own a gmail.com account, read receipts won’t work.
* e.g. a Google Workspace aka "Google for business" account (formerly known as "G-Suite" account").
How to Request a Read Receipt in Gmail.
If you have a Google Workspace Gmail account, here's how to request read receipts:
1. Open your Gmail account and click on the Compose button.
2. Fill out the "To" and "Subject" fields.
3. Then compose your message as usual and insert any attachments.
4. When your message is ready for send, click on the tree dots of the right bottom on the message window and select Request read receipt. *
* Note: If the "Request read receipt" option is not available, two (2) things) can happen:
1. You're using a regular Gmail account and not a Work or School account (Google Workspace).
2. Your administrator has restricted read receipts. (See the instructions at the end of this article to enable the Gmail Read Receipts in the Google Admin Console, if you are the administrator in your organization).
5. Finally, click the Send button to send your email with the request for the read receipt.
How to Return a Read Receipt in Gmail
If you have received an email with a request for a read receipt and you want to return it, here's what you need to do:
1. Launch Gmail and check for the incoming email.
2. After opening an unread email, if a message tells you that the sender has asked for the read receipt, you can perform one of the following options:
- Click on Send receipts to send the read receipt immediately.
- Click on Not now to send the read receipt later (e.g. when you re-open the email in the future).
What are the Limitations of the Read Receipts in Google Mail?
The read receipt feature in Gmail is quite limited.
- The ability to request a read receipt in Google Mail is only available if you have a Gmail account belonging to an organization (Google for Businesses). This means that the read receipt feature is not available for personal Gmail.com accounts.
- Another limitation is that the recipient can always choose whether or not to send you a read receipt. This means that even if you have requested a read receipt, the recipient may choose to ignore your request or send the receipt at a later date.
- Gmail doesn't provide any guarantee that you'll receive a read receipt even if the recipient has seen your email. There are several reasons why this might happen, such as:
- The recipient's email client program doesn't support read receipts.
- The recipient may not want to return a read receipt.
- The message was marked as spam.
- Your administrator has restricted read receipts to people inside or outside your organization. *
* Note: If you are the administrator and you want to allow the Email Read Receipts in Google Mail for your organization, follow the steps below:
1. Sign in with your administrator account to your Google Admin console.
2. From the menu, go to Menu > Apps > Google Workspace > Gmail > User settings.
3. Then click Email read receipts.
4. In the Email read receipts section, select one of the following options and click Save:
- Allow email read receipts to be sent to all addresses in my organization as well as the whitelisted email addresses.
- Allow email read receipts to be sent to any email address
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
- How to Increase Disk size in VirtualBox. - February 28, 2024
- FIX: Media Disconnected error on Windows 10/11. - February 26, 2024
- FIX: VirtualBox Could not open guest session: VERR_NOT_FOUND when upgrading Guest Additions. (Solved) - February 21, 2024