Last updated on May 6th, 2019
If you want to modify a Registry key in Windows and you get the error "Access is Denied", means that the Registry key is protected by Windows. At this case and in order to resolve the problem, you need (first) to take the ownership of that particular registry key, and then, to assign full permissions to your user account at that key.
This guide, contains all the steps required in order to assign full permissions on a system protected registry key, in Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7 OS.
How to Take Ownership & Assign Full Permissions to a Registry key. (FIX "ACCESS DENIED" Error in Registry)
1. First of all, make sure that you have logged to Windows, using an Administrator account.
2. Open Registry Editor: To do that:
3. At the left pane, navigate to the registry key that you want to modify its permissions (take ownership/assign full control permissions).
4. (IMPORTANT): Before you continue, first take a backup of the current settings of the registry key, and then use the backup file if something goes wrong. To do that:
1. Right click on registry key and select Export.
2. Type a filename for the registry backup file and Save the file at your Desktop. *
* Note: If needed, double click at the exported .reg file, to restore your registry back!
5. Right click on the registry key and select Permissions…
6. At 'Permissions' window, click Advanced.
7. Click Change Owner to take the ownership of the registry key.
8. Type Administrators and press OK. *
* Note: If you want to give full permission to your user account only, then type your account name in the box.
9. Check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects checkbox and click Apply.
10. Then double-click to open Administrators entry.
11. Select the Full Control checkbox in order to give full permissions to the selected account and press OK three (3) times,
12. That's it! From now on you"ll have full control permissions to this particular registry key.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.