Last updated on May 12th, 2014
Remote access in computer networking terms is any software technology that gives the ability to access and control another computer from a distance over the network or over the Internet. This means that the user can control and work on the other computer without being physically present at its location. Remote access is often used in corporate networks where the IT Administrators need to access servers or assist the workstation users securely and quickly without interrupting the productivity.
Today there are many remote access software programs in the market that may also help the home users to access and control their home computer from anywhere in the world. But, in my opinion, one of the easiest applications to securely access a remote computer is TeamViewer.
TeamViewer is one of my favorite applications as I have been using it for several years now in order to provide technical support and assistance both to my friends and customers, because it is easy to be downloaded and installed even by a amateur user.
TeamViewer has more features when compared to other remote access software that exist in the market, plus it is a cross platform application (runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, Mobiles). Some of the useful features that I found in TeamViewer and are given for free for NON-Commercial use, is the ability to use the program for unattended access to your remote computer, to cut and paste using the clipboard, to transfer files, to open multiple sessions, to disable the remote input, to reboot the remote computer in safe mode, etc. TeamViewer is also available as a portable application so you don't have to setup the program in order to use it. This is useful when the program is used to provide (or receive) assistance without running always in the background.
This article contains instructions on how to install and configure TeamViewer in order to manage (access) a remote computer.
How to install and use TeamViewer to remotely manage your computer.
Before continuing to the rest of this article you have to understand the following terms that are referenced in this article:
- Remote Computer: Is the computer that you want to control from a distance (e.g. your office computer).
- Home Computer: Is the computer that it is used to access the Remote computer.
Step 1. Download TeamViewer.
1. Download TeamViewer to both computers.
Step 2. Install TeamViewer on the remote computer.*
* Follow the instructions below to install and configure TeamViewer to the computer that you want to manage from a distance (e.g. your office computer).
1. Double-click to run the “TeamViewer_Setup” package.
2. At the “Welcome” screen make the following settings and press “Accept – Finish”
- Installation to access the computer remotely (unattended).
- Personal / Non-commercial use.
3. Press “Next” to setup unattended access.
4. Now type (and memorize it) a strong password in order to connect to this computer remotely and press “Next”.
5. Now, if you'd like, you can create a TeamViewer account * or just select the “I don’t want to create a TeamViewer account now” option and press “Next”.
Notice * : If you using a TeamViewer account, then you can access your customer's TeamViewer data (e. g. TeamViewer ID, username or connection settings) or computers at any time, anywhere via the TeamViewer Management Console and the TeamViewer full version. More info about TeamViewer account you can find here.
6. Write down the TeamViewer ID in order to connect to this computer from your home.
Step 3. Install TeamViewer on your home computer.
1. Run the “TeamViewer_Setup” package to your home computer.
2. At the welcome screen make the following settings and press “Accept – Finish”.
- Basic installation.
- Personal / Non-commercial use.
Step 4. Access your remote computer.
1. When TeamViewer installation ends, open TeamViewer and type the remote computer’s ID inside “Partner ID” box and press “Connect to partner”.
2. When asked, type the password you have specified at the remote computer (step 1) and press “Log on”.
You ‘re done! From now on you can access your remote computer and work on it, like you're sitting in front of it!