How to setup VPN Client in Windows 8, 7 & Vista
VPN technology allows users (clients) to use a public Internet connection to connect to private networks using secure ways (tunnel) between their machine and the private network. VPN's commonly used in business and gives the ability to business employees to work from a distance (away from the office). The secure connection can be done by using a VPN client that connects to the company’s VPN server.
If you want to configure a VPN client in order to access your office network then follow the instructions below:
How to setup (create) a VPN Client connection.
1. Press “Windows” + “R” keys to load the Run dialog box.
2. Type “control panel” and press Enter.
3. At Control Panel double-click to open “Network and Sharing Center”.
4. At “Network and Sharing Center” main screen, click “Set up a new connection or network”.
5. Highlight the “Connect to a workplace” option and click “Next”.
6. Click “Use my Internet connection (VPN)”.
7. Type the VPN’s server public IP Address and – optional – give a destination name for this connection: (e.g. VPN_Office).
8. Type your (VPN) user name and password and click “Connect”.
9. If the VPN client security & connections settings (User Name & Password) are correct then you should successfully connect to your VPN network. *
*Note: If you cannot connect to the VPN server, then check the VPN connection & security settings with your network administrator. In many cases, the VPN server configuration may differ from default installation configuration.
- To view the status of the VPN connection once connected, press the network icon in your system tray.
- If you want to disconnect from VPN, then click the VPN connection name (e.g. “VPN_Office”) and click “Disconnect”.
- To connect to VPN again, press the network icon at your system tray, select the VPN connection (e.g. “VPN_Office”) and click connect.
- To manage VPN connection settings or to delete or rename the VPN connection:
- Open Network Connections: To do that:
- Right-click at the VPN connection’s name (e.g. “VPN_Office”) and then choose the corresponding task.
We're looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It's about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.