Last updated on January 30th, 2020
On a Windows 10 based computer, the Cumulative Update KB4528760 may fail to install with error 0x800f0988: "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later." (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 1909 (KB4528760) – Error 0x800f0988).
This tutorial contains step by step instructions to resolve the error 0x800f0988 in Windows 10 KB4528760 Update.
How to FIX Windows 10 Update Error 0x800f0988. *
* Note: After some tests, I discovered that the most working solution to bypass the error 0x800f0988 in Windows 10 KB4528760 update, is to perform a repair upgrade of Windows 10 (Method 4), but you can try the rest solutions as well.
Method 1. Run the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter.
The first method to fix the Windows update problem 0x800f0988, is to run the Microsoft's Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter tool in Administrator mode. To do that:
1. Navigate to Control Panel –> Troubleshooting –> Fix problems with Windows Update OR –better– download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter according your Windows version.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Try to install the update.
Method 2. Force Windows to re-create the Windows Update Store folder.
The next method to fix problems with the updates in Windows, is to recreate the Windows Update Store folder ("C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"), which is the location where Windows stores the downloaded updates. To do that:
3. Right click on Windows Update service and select Stop.
4. Then, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
5. Select and Delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder.*
(Click Continue at "Folder Access Denied" window).
* Note: The next time that the Windows Update will run, a new empty SoftwareDistribution folder will be automatically created by Windows to store updates.
6. Restart your computer and then try to check for updates.
Method 3. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools
1. Open command prompt as administrator. To do that:
1. In the Search box type: cmd or command prompt
2. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
3. Then give this command to repair Windows:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
4. Be patient until DISM repairs component store. When the operation is completed, (you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired), give this command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
5. When SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
6. Try to update your system again.
Method 4. Repair Windows 10 with an in-place Upgrade.
Another method that usually works, to fix Windows 10 update problems, is to perform a Windows 10 Repair-Upgrade, by using the Media Creation tool to create an ISO or USB Windows 10 install media. For that task follow the detailed instructions on this article: How to repair Windows 10.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.