Last updated on March 3rd, 2016
In this tutorial I will show you how to repair and perform an in-place upgrade on a Windows 10 machine at the same time. The repair operation takes about an hour and in most cases it resolves many Windows 10 problems.
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
How to perform a Windows 10 repair.
Attention: Disable or uninstall any antivirus or security software before starting the Windows 10 repair process.
Step 1. Create a Windows 10 installation media.
To proceed with Windows 10 repair, you need a Windows 10 installation media USB or DVD. If you have already created a Windows 10 installation media, continue to Step-2 below. Otherwise:
1. Navigate to the Get Windows 10 download site.
2. Download and save the Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) on your computer.
3. When the download is completed, run the Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationTool.exe).
4. Accept the license agreement.
5. Choose Create installation media for another PC & click Next.
6. At the next screen choose Next. *
- There is no need to modify anything here. MCT already has chosen the right version and edition for the current computer.
- If you want to create a Windows 10 installation media to repair a different computer, uncheck the "Use the recommended options for this PC" checkbox, and select the Windows 10 language, edition and architecture you want to download.
7. Choose the type of Windows 10 media that you want MCT to create for you (USB or ISO)* and click Next.
- If you want to create a Windows 10 USB installation media, select USB flash drive and plug an empty empty USB stick (at least 4GB) on the computer.
- If you want to create a Windows 10 DVD installation media, select ISO file and insert a blank DVD disk on DVDRW tray.
8. Now be patient until MCT download the Windows 10 installation files and transfer them to the media you chose previously.
9. When the operation is completed, click Finish if you have chosen to create a Windows 10 USB disk, or click Open DVD burner to burn the downloaded files on a DVD.
10. When done, continue to the next step.
Step 2. Repair and Upgrade Windows 10 installation.
1. Put the Windows 10 Installation media you created at the previous step on your computer and run the Setup application from it.
2. Press Yes at the UAC warning message and then be patient while Windows are preparing your system for repair.
3. At the next screen select the Download and install updates (recommended) option and click Next. *
* Note: If you want to perform a Windows 10 repair without installing the latest updates, select Not right now, but keep in mind that it is more efficient to repair you computer with the latest updates.
4. Then Windows check your PC.
5. Accept the license Terms.
6. Be patient until Windows 10 Setup downloads the available updates.
7. At the next screen choose Install. *
* Note: The default repair process will keep all your files, personal settings and apps untouched. If you don't want this and you want to choose what to keep (e.g. personal files, settings or apps) then click at 'Change what to keep' link and make your selections.
8. Now wait until Windows perform an in-place upgrade and repair you computer.
9. When the Repair/Upgrade is completed, you should login normally and hopefully your previous problems will be resolved.
You 're done!