Last updated on May 30th, 2019
The following error is displayed in Windows Update: Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1803, failed to download (or "failed to install"), with error code: 0x80240034. The error 0x80240034 in Windows 10 update, commonly occurs because during
the download process the Internet connection or the connection with the Microsoft's update servers, was interrupted for some reason.
To fix the error 0x80240034 when downloading or installing the Windows 10 v1803 update, follow the instructions mentioned below.
How to FIX: Windows 10 version 1803 fails to install with Error 0x80240034
Solution 1. Turn OFF the Windows Developer Mode.
The common cause, of the error 0x80240034 in Windows 10 update, is the "Developer Mode". So, if the developer mode is enabled on your system, proceed and disable it, by following the instructions below:
1. Go to Settings > Update and Security and select For developers on the left.
2. At developer features, choose Sideload Apps.
3. Click Yes at Turn on app sideloading.
4. Then go to Settings –> Apps -> Apps & Features > Manage optional features.
5. Click at Windows Developer Mode and click Uninstall.
6. Restart your computer and try to install the update again.
Solution 2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
The first method to resolve the Windows 10 Update error 0x80240034, is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool, in order to fix problems with the Windows Update.
1. Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, according to your Windows Version .
2. Restart your computer.
3. Check for updates.
Solution 3. Force Windows to re-create the Windows Update Store folder.
The second method to fix problems with the updates in Windows 10, is to recreate the Windows Update Store folder ("C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"), which is the location where Windows stores the downloaded updates. To do that:
3. Right click on Windows Update service and select Stop.
4. Then, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
5. Select and Delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.*
(Click Continue at "Folder Access Denied" window).
* Note: The next time that the Windows Update will run, a new empty SoftwareDistribution folder will be automatically created by Windows to store updates.
6. Restart your computer and then try to install the update.
Solution 4. Update Windows 10 using the ISO file.
The final method to bypass the error 0x80240034 in Windows 10 v1803, is to install the update from a Windows 10 ISO file. To do that:
1. Navigate to Microsoft's Download Center and click Download tool now to download the Media Creation Tool.
2. After download, run the Media Creation Tool and then Accept the License terms.
3. At the next screen select Create installation media for another PC & click Next.
4. Leave the default Language, Edition and Architecture settings and click Next.
5. At the next screen, select ISO file and click Next.
5. Then click Save and save the Windows ISO file to your computer.
6. Now be patient until MCT download the Windows 10 ISO file.
7. When the download is completed, disconnect your PC from the Internet.
8. (Optional): If you have installed a 3rd party antivirus, then it is better to disable it.
9. Double click at the Windows ISO file to open it.
10. Double click at setup application and follow the instructions to upgrade your PC.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.