Error Code 9C59 may appear when you try to install Internet Explorer 11 (or IE10) via Windows Update. When this problem happens, the Windows Update fails with the following error message: "Some Updates were not installed – Error(s) found: Code 9C59 – Windows Update encountered an unknown error".
The error Code 9C59 can occur for several reasons e.g. due to a Windows Update folder (SoftwareDistribution) corruption, Windows Update elements corruption, missing important updates that are needed to install Internet Explorer, etc.
This troubleshooting guide contains detailed instructions on how to resolve the Code 9C59 received during Windows Update.
How to fix Error 9C59 – Internet Explorer installation failed.
- Solution 1: Install all optional Windows Updates & update essential device drivers.
- Solution 2. Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (Windows Updates Store Folder)
- Solution 3: Use Internet Explorer offline installer.
- Solution 4. Fix Windows Corruption error using System Update Readiness tool (DISM)
- Other solutions to bypass Error 9C59
Solution 1: Install all optional Windows Updates & update essential device drivers
Step 1. Install all Important and Optional updates except Internet Explorer 11.
1. Press Windows + R keys to load the Run dialog box.
2. Type the following command to open Windows Update and press Enter.
3. Press Check for updates.
4. Choose the Important Updates link.
5. First Uncheck and re-check the Name checkbox to select all Important Updates.
5. Then Uncheck the Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 update.
6. Click Optional at the left.
7. Uncheck and re-check the Name checkbox to select all Optional Updates and click OK.
8. Finally choose to Install Updates.
—– Be patient while Windows install updates —–
9. After Windows Updates are installed, perform the same procedure until you install all available updates EXCEPT IE11.
Step 2. Update essential device drivers.
1. Download and Install from the manufacturer's website the latest drivers for the following devices:
- Display Adapter
- Wireless Adapter
- Ethernet Adapter
Step 3. Install Internet Explorer 11
1. When you perform the above steps try to install Internet Explorer again. If you still face problems, try solution 2 below.
Solution 2. Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (Windows Updates Store Folder)
The SoftwareDistribution folder, is the location where Windows stores the downloaded updates. If this folder is corrupted, then you will face problems during Windows Update. So, another solution to bypass the error 9C59 during Windows Update, is to delete (or rename) that folder* and restart your computer. To delete the SoftwareDistribution folder:
* Note: Upon restart, the next time the Windows Update checks for available updates, a new empty SoftwareDistribution folder will be create automatically to store updates.
1. Simultaneously press Windows key + R to open run command box.
2. In run command box, type: services.msc and press Enter.
3. Search for Windows Update service, then right click on it and select Stop.
3. Navigate to “C:Windows”folder.
4. Delete (or Rename e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
5. Restart your computer and then try to install Internet Explorer.
Solution 3: Use Internet Explorer 11 offline installer.
Step 1: Uninstall previous version of Internet Explorer from Control Panel
Navigate to Windows Control Panel & open Programs & Features > View Installed Updates and uninstall any previous version of Internet Explorer.
2. Type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
3. In the “Programs and Features” window, click on “View installed updates” on the left pane.
4. From the list of installed programs, locate Internet Explorer and click “Uninstall”.
5. When uninstallation is completed, restart your computer for changes to take effect and revert back to Internet Explorer 9.
- If your computer doesn't revert to IE 9 automatically, then you can download and install Internet Explorer 9 manually.
Download Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 (32-bit)
Download Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 (64-bit)
Download Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (32-bit)
Download Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (64-bit)
Step 2: Download Internet Explorer Offline Installer.
Use an Internet Explorer 11 Offline installer package to install IE11.
1. Navigate to Microsoft's IE download site and download Internet Explorer 11 Offline Installer according to your system language and Windows 7 version:
2. When the download is completed, double-click at the downloaded file (e.g. "IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe") to install IE11.
3. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.
Solution 4. Fix Windows Corruption error using System Update Readiness tool (DISM)
1. Download and save to your desktop the System Update Readiness tool according to your Windows version.
2. Double click to install the downloaded file (e.g. Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x86.msu).
3. When the installation is completed, restart your computer and try to install Internet Explorer again.
Other solutions to try if the above solutions don't work:
1. Reset Windows Updates Components by running the FixIt tool from this link.
2. Make sure that you have installed the following prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer:
3. Change DPI to default settings.
1. Right-click on an empty space on your desktop and click Personalize.
2. Click Display at the left.
3. Select the Smaller – 100% (default)