Last updated on January 17th, 2015
On a customer’s computer, the following error appeared when the user tried to open links in email messages using Outlook 2007: “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator”. The user was already the administrator of his computer and the above error occurred after the installation of Opera Web browser on his computer.
Usually the “Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions “ Outlook error, means that the corresponding registry settings (keys) that are used to handle the default actions to open hyperlinks are misconfigured.
The solution below contains step by step instructions on how to resolve the “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator” error when you try to open hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 email program. The solution has been applied & worked successfully on a Windows 7 based computer.
How to solve “Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions…" error in Outlook.
Step 1. Modify Registry Subkeys for HTML files.
1. Open Windows Registry Editor. To do that:
2. Inside Windows Registry, navigate (from the left pane) and highlight this key:
3. At the right pane, double click to open the “Default” string.
4. At the value data field, delete any other value, type “htmlfile” menu and press OK.
5. Do the same modification to the following registry subkeys: .htm, .shtml, .xhtml.
6. Close Registry editor and try to open a hyperlink in Outlook now.
You ‘re done!