FIX: Scheduled Task Does Not Start At Logon of Any User or Runs in Background in Windows 10. (Solved)
A few days ago, on a Windows 10-based computer, I tried to create a scheduled task that starts a program at startup for each user who logs on to the computer. However, the scheduled task does not run for other users, and starts only when the user who created the task types its password to login on to the computer.
Normally, if you want to run a scheduled task for every user connected on a Windows PC, you have to specify at 'Triggers' tab to to run the task at "Log on of any user" and to check the "Run whether user is logged on or not", or the "Run only when user is logged on" checkbox in 'General' tab. However this configuration, does not work as expected with the following behavior (symptoms).
- When the "Run only when user is logged on" is selected, the task runs only for the user created the task and not for other users.
- When the "Run whether user is logged on or not" is selected, the task is running but hidden (in the background). *
* Note: This behavior may be normal if you want the scheduled task to run in the background, but if you want to open a program at startup (eg Chrome), the program will run but it will not be visible.
- Related article: How to Start a Program at Startup using Task Scheduler.
This tutorial contains instructions on how to create a scheduled task, that will run for every user connects on a Windows 10 PC.
How to fix: Scheduled task not running for any user or runs in the background (Windows 10).
To force the scheduled task to run, with any user account, modify the task's properties as follows:
1. In 'General tab:
a. Click Change User or Group.
b. Type Administrators and click OK.
c. Check the Run with highest privileges box.
2. At 'Triggers' tab, ensure that the Trigger is set to begin the task At log on and click OK.
3. At 'Conditions' tab, clear the Start the task only if the computer is on AC Power checkbox.
4. At 'Settings' tab, apply the following settings and click OK:
a. Check the Allow task to be run on demand checkbox
b. Check the Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed checkbox, and…
c. Finally select to Stop the existing instance if the task is already running.
5. Restart the PC and check if the selected program is running at log on of any user on the PC.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.