FIX: The specified network name is no longer available. (Solved)
This tutorial contains instructions to fix the error "The specified network name is no longer available" when trying to access a shared folder on a Windows 10 PC from a Windows 7 or a Windows XP PC.
Problem in details: When you attempt to open shares on a Windows 10 machine, the process is very slow and you receive the error "The specified network name is no longer available". The issue commonly faced on Windows 7 or XP client computers.
How to FIX: The specified network name is no longer available.
Method 1. Turn On the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
On the Windows 10 machine (with the shared folders):
1. Navigate to Control Panel and open Programs and Features.
2. Click Turn Windows features on or off.
3. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature and click OK.
4. Restart your computer.
5. After restart, check if you can access the shared folder from the clients. If the problem persists, continue to step-2.
Method 2. Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall.
1. On the machine with the shared folders, temporarily disable the Antivirus and the Firewall protection.
2. Then, try to access the shares from the clients. If the problem is resolved, then install the latest version of your security program or look at vendor's site for a solution or use another security program.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
We're looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It's about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.
May 4, 2021 @ 3:46 pm
Last time I looked, Windows XP didn't have "Programs and Features", it has "Add / Remove Programs". The example #1 are screen shots from a Win 7 machine.
May 5, 2021 @ 9:12 am
The screenshots are correct, because you have to apply the fix in Windows 7 or in Windows 10 machine with the shared folders.
December 7, 2020 @ 9:43 am
Worked perfect for me, thank you very much!