If the USB 3.0 drive is not recognized in VirtualBox guest machine, continue below to fix the problem. A few days ago I tried to mount a USB 3.0 drive to an Oracle VirtualBox VM running Windows 7 without success. So, I decided to write this tutorial to help others with the same problem.
Problem in details: A USB 3.0 device or a USB 3.0 drive that is connected to a USB 3.0 port on the host machine, cannot be attached or recognized in VirtualBox Windows 7 guest machine.
This guide contains detailed instructions on how to capture a USB 3.0 drive on a VirtualBox VM machine running Windows 7.
How to FIX: Cannot Attach USB 3 Drives on Windows 7 VirtualBox Machines.
Step 1. Install VirtualBox Extension Pack
To enable the USB support (USB v2 or USB v3) on the Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest machine, you must install Oracle VM Extension Pack on the Host machine. To do that:
1. Shutdown the Guest VM machine.
2. Download and install the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (on Host machine). *
* Note: If you are using an oldest VirtualBox build then download and install the extension pack for that version from here.
Step 2. Enable USB 3.0 Controller on VirtualBox Machine Settings.
To be able to use USB devices, in the VirtualBox Guest OS, you have to activate the USB controller in VM Settings. So, open the USB options of the guest machine, and…
1. Enable USB Controller
2. Select the USB 3.0 (xHXI) Controller check box.
Step 3. Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Windows 7 Guest Machine.
To take advantage of all the features of VirtualBox, you must install Guest Additions, which contain device drivers and system applications that optimize the guest operating system for better performance and usability.
1. Start VM machine.
2. From the VM's menu, go to Devices and click on Insert Guest Additions CD image…
3. The Guest Additions installer should start automatically after 2-3 seconds.* Click Next and follow the rest instructions to install VirtualBox Guest Additions.
* Note: If the installer doesn't launch automatically, open explorer and run the "VBox WindowsAdditions" application on the loaded CD Image .
4. Restart Windows 7 VM and continue to next step.
Step 4. Install Intel USB 3.0 Drivers on Windows 7 Guest Machine.
The most important step to work with USB 3.0 drives in VirtualBox, is to install the USB 3.0 drivers on the Guest Windows 7 OS. *
* Note: Windows 10 & Windows 8.1. supports USB 3.0 and you don't need to install any drivers.
1. Start the VM machine.
2. Download and install the corresponding USB 3.0 driver below according your Intel Generation Processor:
- For 2nd or 3rd Intel Core(TM) i3, i5, i7 processors, download this driver: Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip *
- For Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Families and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor U-Series Platform, download this driver.
Step 5. Attach the USB 3.0 Drive in the VM Machine.
Finally proceed and attach the USB 3.0 drive on the VM machine. To do that:
1. From the VM machine's menu, go to Devices > USB and click the USB 3.0 drive that you want to mount it in guest OS.
2. Open Explorer and you should see the attached USB 3 drive inside the VM. *
* Note: If after following the above instructions you still have problems capturing USB 3.0 devices in VirtualBox, have a look here.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
- How to Backup Synology NAS to External USB Drive. - December 11, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with an Office365/Exchange Account. - December 6, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with POP3/IMAP Accounts. - December 4, 2023