Last updated on September 18th, 2019
If you’re using a high-DPI 4Κ monitor or device (e.g. laptop) with Windows 10, you have probably already noticed that in some applications, the fonts are very small in the menus and the text, and you need a magnifier to read them. The above issue is caused because, because most desktop applications are "DPI unaware".* That means, that they do not automatically handle the DPI scaling and, as a result, will render blurry or will have wrong size.
DPI Awareness definitions: *
- DPI Aware: The DPI Aware applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.
- DPI Unaware: The DPI Unaware applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings. By default, desktop applications are completely DPI unaware and are bitmap-stretched by Windows).
In this tutorial I 'll show to you how to resolve the "tiny and blurry fonts" issue in menus and text in 4k and higher resolution monitors (screens) in Windows 10 & 8.1 OS.
How to FIX: Tiny Text Fonts in Menus/Toolbars/Icons in Programs on Windows 10/8.1.
Method 1. How to Change DPI Settings for a Specific Application.
To adjust the DPI scaling for a specific program, if you 're own a high DPI device or monitor:
1. Right-click at the application (or the shortcut) that you face the "very small fonts" issue and click Properties.
2. At the Compatibility tab, click Change high DPI settings. *
* Note: If you own Windows 8.1, then, at Compatibility tab, check the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box and click OK.
3. Check the Override high DPI scaling behavior box and then set the 'Scaling performed by:' System (Enhanced). Click OK when done.
4. Now launch the application to find out if the issue is fixed. If the issue is not fixed, then try to change the 'Scaling performed by:' setting to System.
Method 2. How to Change DPI Settings for all Applications.
If you want to fix the "small and blurry text" issue, for all Windows items and applications, then follow the instructions below according your operating system.
How to increase the size of all items (menus, texts & fonts) in all applications Windows 10:
3. If your apps still looks blurry, then click at Advanced scaling settings (on the above screen), and then set the "Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" switch to ON or specify and custom scaling size and click Apply.
How to increase the size of all items (menus, texts & fonts) in all applications Windows 8.1:
1. Right click at an empty space on the desktop and choose Personalize.
2. Then click on Display at left pane.
3. At Change the size of all items option, drag the slider to Larger and click Apply.
4. Sign Out or Restart your PC.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.