This tutorial contains detailed instructions to resolve the VirtualBox Error 0x000000C4, when you try to install Windows 8.1, Widows 10 or Windows Server 2012 64-bit OS on Oracle VM VirtualBox.
Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x000000C4
0xFFFFF80141B5BA80 (or "0xFFFFF801E5962A80")
How to FIX VirtualBox Error 0x000000C4 (Windows 10, 8.1, Server 2012)
Important: Before you continue to the methods below. make sure that you have installed the latest version of Oracle Virtual box and you have specified that you install a 64-bit OS on the VM Settings.
Method 1. Enable Data Execution Protection in BIOS.
The first method to resolve the VM Error Code 0x000000C4, is to enable the 'Data Execution Prevention' in BIOS. To do that:
1. Power on your computer and enter into BIOS (CMOS Setup) settings.
2. Go to Advanced or to Security options and Enable the Data Execution Protection.
* Note: In some BIOS, the "Data Execution Protection" may be named as "No Execute Memory Protection", or "Execute Disable bit", or "Execute Disable Function", or "NX Bit".
3. Save your changes and Exit from Bios Setup.
4. Boot to Windows.
5. Open VirtualBox and install the VM Machine.
Method 2. Enable the CMPXCHG16B instruction.
According to Microsoft, one of the system requirements to install Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or Server 2012 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, is to have a processor that supports the CMPXCHG16B instruction (may also referred as "CompareExchange128"). But, some earlier CPU's lacked the CMPXCHG16B instruction and you have to enable that feature in the VM machine in order to bypass the "0x000000C4" error. To do that:
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Type the following command:
- cd \Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
3. Then give the below command to list the VM Machines.
- VBoxManage.exe list vms
4. Notice from the output of the above command, the name of the VBOX machine, where you receive the error 0x000000C4.
e.g At this example, the VM machine with the "0x000000C4" error, is the "Windows8.1_x64_Pro".
5. Then type the following command, but replace the "VM Name" value, with the name of the VBOX machine that you face the error 0x000000C4, and press Enter:
- VBoxManage.exe setextradata "VM Name" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
e.g. At this example the command will be:
- VBoxManage.exe setextradata "Windows8.1_x64_Pro" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
6. Close Command Prompt and proceed to install the VM machine. *
* Tip: If you want to enable the CMPXCHG16B instruction, to all installed VM machines, then give the following command:
- VBoxManage.exe setextradata global VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.