Facebook is the biggest and most used social network today to share our lives. But many Facebook users are disappointed by it, because it stores, keeps and shares their privacy or they don’t find it interesting anymore. This tutorial is written for users that want to leave behind their Facebook life for any reason.
Before you permanently delete your Facebook account you must consider the consistencies of doing that:
Once you delete your Facebook account, you won’t be able to use your account again and you will not have access to your personal info & data (e.g. photos, videos, etc.) anymore. So the first thing that you have to do, before you delete your Facebook account, is to backup your personal data from Facebook platform.
Step 1: Backup your Facebook data locally.
You can retrieve your Facebook data by following the next steps:
1. Go to Facebook webpage (http://www.facebook.com) and login to your Facebook account.
2. Click the “Gear” icon on the top right corner and select Account Settings.
2. In “General” settings, click on “Download a copy of your Facebook data“.
3. Click on “Download Archive” button.
4. Re – enter your account password and click “Submit”.
In the following article your can find detailed instructions to complete this task:
If you want to make a backup copy of friends’ photos where you are tagged in, then read this tutorial on how to do that:
Advice – Warning: The Facebook archive file contains private information. You should keep it secure and take precautions when storing or sending or uploading it to another service.
Before you proceed to delete your Facebook account, I suggest you deactivate your account for some days until you decide for sure that you don’t want it and there is no need to use it anymore. If you have already taken your final decision (to permanently delete your FB account) proceed to Step 2.
How to Deactivate your Facebook account
So if you want to think a little more for your Facebook account deletion then you can deactivate your account until you take your final decision about this. To do that:
While you are logged in to your Facebook account go to this link : https://www.facebook.com/deactivate.php.
Additionally you can:
1. Click the “Gear” icon on the top right corner and select Account Settings.
2. Click on Security at the left pane.
3. Click on Deactivate your account link..
4. Important: When you deactivate your account, your timeline and all information associated with it disappears from Facebook immediately. People on Facebook will not be able to search for you or view any of your information. So read carefully all the information at the next warning screen and then “Give the reason for leaving” (e.g. It’s temporary, I’ll be back” and press “Confirm”.
Now your account is deactivated. From now on you can come back to Facebook anytime (if you decide to do that so) by logging in with your Facebook username (e-mail) and password. When you do that all your timeline, friends, photos, etc. will be restored in their original state as before deactivation.
Step 2: How to delete your Facebook Account forever.
1. While you are logged in to your Facebook account go to this link : https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account
2. Press the “Delete My Account Account” button.
3. On “Permanently Delete Account” window, type your password (1), the Captcha text displayed bellow (2) and press “Okay”
4. That’s it. Facebook informs you that your account has been deactivated. If you don’t login to your account within the next 14 days, then your account will be deleted (deactivated) forever.