This tutorial shows how to remove or disable the Windows Defender Antivirus protection in Windows Server 2016. As you may know, the Server 2016 has built-in antivirus and malware protection through the Windows Defender Application.
In Server 2016, if you want to use another another antivirus program to protect your Server, the Windows Defender will not disable itself (as it happens in Window 10) in order to maximize the protection in Server 2016. So, if you want to remove or disable Defender Antivirus in Server 2016, you have to do that, manually.
How to Disable or Uninstall Windows Defender Antivirus in Server 2016.
Part 1. How to Turn OFF Real Time Protection in Windows Defender in Server 2016.
To temporarily turn off the Windows Defender Real Time Protection in Server 2016 though GUI, go to Settings –> Update & security –> Windows Defender and set the Real Time Protection to OFF. *
To permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows Server 2016:
1. Open PowerShell as Administrator.
2. Type the following command:
- Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true
Note: To turn on again, the real time protection give the following command in Windows PowerShell (Admin) and then restart the server:
- Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $false
Part 2. How to Uninstall Windows Defender in Server 2016.
To completely remove Windows Defender from the Windows Server 2016, you can use one of the following methods:
- Method 1. Uninstall Windows Defender using PowerShell.
- Method 2. Remove Windows Defender in Server 2016 using DISM command prompt (DISM).
- Method 3. Remove Windows Defender using the Remove Roles & Features wizard.
Method 1. Uninstall Windows Defender using PowerShell.
To remove Windows Defender using PowerShell:
1. Open PowerShell as Administrator.
2. Type the following command and press Type the following command and press Enter:
- Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender
3. Restart the server. *
* Note: To reinstall the Windows Defender feature, then give the following command in PowerShell:
- Install-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender
Method 2. Remove Windows Defender in Server 2016 using DISM in command prompt.
To remove Defender using DISM: *
* Advice: Do not use this way (DISM), to remove the Windows Defender Feature, because the command removes also the Windows Defender installation package and makes impossible to reinstall the Windows Defender (of you want) in the future.
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
- Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Windows-Defender /Remove /NoRestart /quiet
3. Restart the server.
Method 3. Remove Windows Defender using the Remove Roles & Features wizard.
To Uninstall Windows Defender in Windows Server 2016.
1. Open Server Manager.
2. From Manage menu, click Remove Roles and Features.
3. Press Next at the first three (3) screens.
4. At Features options, uncheck the Windows Defender Features and click Next.
5. Click Remove to remove the Windows Defender.
6. Restart your server.
* Note: To reinstall Windows Defender Antivirus on Server 2016, follow the instructions below:
1. Open Server Manager and click Add Roles and Features.
2. Click Next at the first for (4) screens of the wizard.
3. At Features screen, check the Windows Defender Features, plus the 'Windows Defender' and the 'GUI for Windows Defender' checkboxes and click Next.
4. At Confirmation screen click Install.
5. When the installation is completed click Close and restart your server.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.
- How to Backup Synology NAS to External USB Drive. - December 11, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with an Office365/Exchange Account. - December 6, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with POP3/IMAP Accounts. - December 4, 2023