Last updated on August 2nd, 2014
Pop-Up Ads (Advertisements) are generated by Adware or advertising-supported software which automatically render advertisements on a victim's computer in order to earn profits from advertisers. Although advertisements are a legitimate method for the advertisers to promote their products (e.g. in Internet Websites), the software designed for that job, commonly known as "Adware software" in most cases is Malware (Malicious Software) and the advertisements produced from that software are displayed at the infected computer in a form of pop-up windows (Pop-up ads).
Technically, Adware Programs are categorized as " PUP" (Potentially Unwanted Programs) because they may contain and install malicious programs on your computer, like Rootkits, Trojans,or Viruses. If a computer is infected with adware, then more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links are displayed on the victim's computer screen or in the Internet browser and in some cases, the computer speed may be slowed down due to malicious programs running on the background. Adware programs can also hijack your Internet browser settings and homepage in order to display more ads while you use your browser.
Adware programs are probably installed without the user's knowledge because it is commonly bundled inside other freeware software which are downloaded -and installed- from known internet sites like "download.com (CNET)", "Softonic.com", etc. For that reason, you must always pay attention to the installation options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contain additional software that you never wanted to install. In simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically, when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the "Next" button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ VERY CAREFULLY the Terms and Agreements before clicking "Accept"..
- ALWAYS SELECT: "Custom" installation.
- DECLINE to install any offered additional software that you don't want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified
How to remove Ads (Pop-up ads) & Adware software from your computer.
Step 1. Uninstall Adware applications from your Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. When the program list is displayed on your screen, sort the the programs displayed by Installation date (Installed on) and then find and Remove (Uninstall) any unknown application that was lately installed on your system. Also remove any of these adware applications listed below*:
- Media Player
- SavingsBull or SavingsBullFilter
- Scorpion Saver
* Also remove from your computer any other unknown or unwanted application.
Step 2: Clean Adware & Unwanted Browser Toolbars.
AdwCleaner is a free removal tool that can remove easily Adware software (ads software), PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs), Toolbars, Hijackers.
1. Download and save "AdwCleaner" utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open "AdwCleaner" from your desktop.
3. After accepting the "License Agreement" press the "Scan" button.
4. When the scan is completed, press "Clean" to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press "OK" at "AdwCleaner – Information" and press "OK" again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 3. Remove potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) with Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with "JRT – Junkware Removal Tool".
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 4. Remove Ads & Adware extensions from Internet Explorer, Google Chrome & MOzilla Firefox.
In this step you learn how to remove all ads and adware extensions from your Internet Browser.
How to remove ads from Internet Explorer
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
2. Click the "Advanced" tab.
3. Choose "Reset".
4. Check (to enable) the "Delete personal settings" box and choose "Reset".
5. After the resetting action is completed, press "Close" and then choose "OK" to exit Internet Explorer options.
6. Close all windows and restart Internet Explorer.
How to remove ads from Chrome
2. Look at the end of "Settings" options and press the "Show advanced settings" link.
3. Scroll all the page down and press the "Reset Browser Settings" button.
4. Press the "Reset" button again.
5. Restart Google Chrome.
How to remove ads from Firefox
1. From Firefox menu, go to "Help" > "Troubleshooting Information".
2. In "Troubleshooting Information" window, press "Reset Firefox" button to reset Firefox to its default state.
3. Press "Reset Firefox" again.
4. After the resetting job is completed, Firefox restarts.
Step 5. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the "Start My Free 14-Trial" option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the "Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium" option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the "Scan Now" button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, first press the "Quarantine All" button to remove all threats and then click "Apply Actions".
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restarts, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan in Windows "Safe mode". Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.
Step 6. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use "CCleaner" program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don't know how to install and use "CCleaner", read these instructions.