AVG antivirus is a very good antivirus program, by AVG Technologies. But in some cases there is the need to completely uninstall AVG in order to reinstall it from scratch or to install another antivirus product on our computer. This article is written for such situations or when you face problems using the normal uninstall method.
How to completely uninstall AVG Antivirus or AVG Internet Security
Method 1: Normal uninstall
First of all try the normal uninstall method to remove AVG products from your computer.
Method 1. Normal Uninstall AVG applications from Windows Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. From the programs list, select the AVG application that you want to remove and click “Uninstall”.
4. Ask “Yes” to UAC warning message (if it appears) to continue.
5. At AVG Uninstaller options press the “Uninstall” button.
6. Uncheck the “Keep me protected with AVG LinkScanner” check box and hit “Next”.
7. Check the “Remove user settings” & “Remove Virus Vault contents” checkboxes and press “Next”.
8. Check the “Activate Windows Firewall” checkbox and hit “Next”.
9, Press “Next” again at Uninstall Survey screen.
10. Wait until the AVG removal process is completed.
11. When AVG uninstall is completed, press the “Restart now (recommended)” button to complete the uninstallation.
12. After your computer has restarted, log on to Windows and open “Add or Remove programs” (or “Programs and Features” in newer versions of Windows) to confirm that AVG products is not listed there anymore.
Method 2. Manual Uninstall AVG products using AVG Remover.
Use this method when you cannot uninstall (or if you are having problems when you try to uninstall) AVG products.
1. Navigate to AVG Utilities Download Center and download the AVG Remover utility according to your Windows version (e.g. 32 or 64bit)* & your AVG product version (e.g. 2012, 2013, etc.)
* To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section.
For this example, let's suppose that we have Windows 64bit operating system on our computer with AVG 2014 installed on it. So we go to download the “AVG Remover(64bit) 2014” utility.
2. Save the AVG remover utility to your computer.
3. When the download is completed, close all open programs & press “Run” to immediately start the removal of AVG from your computer.
4. Ask “Yes” to UAC warning message (if it appears) to continue uninstalling AVG.
5. Now a “command” window will open and an “AVG Remover – Warning” message appears on your screen.
Press “Yes” to continue.
6. Wait until AVG remover utility finishes removing AVG products from your computer.
Note: At this point, your computer may perform a restart to complete the uninstall process. If so, please answer to run “AVG Remover utility” if asked.
7. Once the removal process is completed, restart your computer again.
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with an Office365/Exchange Account. - December 6, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with POP3/IMAP Accounts. - December 4, 2023
- How to Easy Update to Windows 11 23H2 on Unsupported Hardware. - November 29, 2023