Last updated on September 28th, 2013
This is a tutorial on how to replace a faulty 2.5 inches hard disk drive on a Hewlett-Packard (HP) Pavilion DV9700* series notebook. This process also works on DX6600 and DX6700 series . The whole process is very easy and will not take you more than 5 minutes.
Notice*: The specific model supports 2 Sata 2,5’’ hard disk drives. In this document you learn how to replace the primary HDD.
Scroll to the end of the article to watch a video with the whole process.
Step 1: Turn your laptop upside down
Step 2 : Remove the Battery
1. Slide and hold the battery release latch to its release position.
2. Lift the front edge of the battery and remove it from the battery bay.
Step 3: Remove the Hard drive
1. Look on the left side on your laptop and find the HDD bay 1 (primary HDD).
2. Loosen the two (2) screws that secure the HDD cover and the Hard drive.
3. Remove the HDD cover.
4. Use a flatted screwdriver and lift-up the outer edge of hard drive and remove it from its bay.
Step 4: Unscrew the Hard drive from its case
1. Use your screw driver and loosen the four (4) screws that secure the drive in its case.
2. Remove the HDD from it’s case.
Step 5. Remove the SATA Hard Drive Connector
1. Use a flatted screwdriver and lift-up the Sata Hard Drive Connector.
Step 6: Place the new Hard drive
1. Take your new hard drive on your hands.
2. Follow the above steps in reverse sequence to complete the job.
HP DV 9700 series: dv9700, dv9700t, dv9700z, dv9715nr, dv9718ca, dv9720ca, dv9720us, dv9723ca, dv9723cl, dv9724ca, dv9727cl, dv9727us, dv9728ca, dv9728cl, dv9730ca, dv9730nr, dv9730us, dv9731ca, dv9734nr, dv9736ca, dv9740ca, dv9740us, dv9743cl, dv9744ca, dv9747cl, dv9748ca, dv9750us, dv9758ca, dv9774ca
HP DX 6600 series: dx6600, dx6650ca, dx6650us, dx6653ca, dx6665ca, dx6667cl, dx6697nr, dx6600 CTO, dx6697us, dx6699xx
HP DX 6700 series