Last updated on October 23rd, 2018
In a previous tutorial, I mentioned the ways to create a system image backup, in order to recover your computer when needed. In this tutorial you 'll find detailed instructions on how to restore your system from a previous system image backup.
As you may already know, restoring your computer from a full working System Image backup is a very reliable solution to bring your computer back to work, especially if Windows fails to boot, or after an unsuccessful restore to a previous restore point (by using the System Restore feature).
- Related article: How to Create System Image Backups in Windows 10, 8 or 7 OS.
How to Recover your PC using an earlier System Image.
Method 1. Restore System Image Backup using a Windows Installation Media. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
The first and for my opinion the best way, to recover your PC from a System Image, is to boot from a Windows installation (recovery) media* and then to launch the 'System Image Recovery' option. To do that:
* Note: If you don't own a Windows Installation Media, then you can create one (corresponding to your Windows Edition and Version) directly from Microsoft.
1. Boot your computer from a Windows Installation Media (USB or DVD).
2. At the Windows Setup screen choose Next and then click Repair your computer.
3. Then select Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Image Recovery. *
** Note: In Windows 7 OS, after choosing "Repair your computer", click Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier and click Next.
4. Select the system image that you want to restore and then follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC.
Method 2: Restore System Image Backup from Recovery Options (Windows 10, 8)
The next method to restore your computer, from a System Image backup is to boot your system in recovery options. To do that:
1. Click Power & while holding the SHIFT key down, press Restart.
2. Then select Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Image Recovery.
3. Select the system image that you want to restore and then follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC.
Method 3. Restore System Image Backup from Backup and Restore utility (Windows 7)
If you own a Windows 7 based computer, then you can use the Windows Backup and Restore utility, to recover your computer from an earlier system image. To do that:
1. Open Windows Control Panel, set the "View By:" to Small icons and open Backup and Restore.
2. Select Recover System settings on your computer.
3. Click on Advanced recovery methods.
4. Choose Use a system image that you created earlier to recover your computer.
5. Select the system image that you want to restore and then follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.