Last updated on March 14th, 2019
As you may already know, "Backup and Sync" is a desktop app provided by Google, that helps you to easily backup your local files to the Google Drive from a Windows PC or MAC computer.
Google Backup and Sync is an excellent backup application to automate the backup process and to synchronize your local files with the Cloud, or vice versa, but it does not offer the option to schedule the backup operation in non working hours. As a result of that, you may face slow performance issues on the computer where the backup application is installed, or slow speed issues on your network.
In this tutorial you 'll learn how to schedule Google Backup and Sync to run in specific time, using Windows Task Scheduler.
How to Schedule Google Backup and Sync.
Step 1. Prevent Google Backup and Sync to Start with Windows.
1. Click at "Google Backup and Sync" icon on the taskbar and click Preferences from the menu.
2. At Settings section, uncheck the Open Backup and Sync on system startup checkbox and click OK.
Step 2. Start Google Backup Sync using Task Scheduler.
Open task scheduler and create a new task that starts Backup and Sync app in a specific time. To do that:
1. At the search box, type: task scheduler
2. Open Task scheduler
3. From Action menu select Create Task.
4. At General tab type a name for the task. e.g. "Start Google Backup"
5. Then choose the Triggers tab and click New.
1. Specify when you want to start the "Google Backup and Sync" process and click OK. *
* e.g. At this example we setup to start the Google backup Daily at 1.00AM
6. Then choose the Actions tab and click New.
1. At Program/Script field, type the following command, according your Windows architecture (32 or 64bit) and click OK.
- For Windows 32-bit type: "C:\Program Files\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe"
- For Windows 64-bit type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe"
7. Click OK again to close the Create Task window and continue to the next step.
Step 3. STOP/END the Google Backup Sync Process using Task Scheduler.
At this step, we 're going to create a new task, that stops the Google Backup at a specific time.
1. From Task Scheduler's main menu choose Action and select Create Task.
2. At General tab type a name for the task. e.g. "Stop Google Backup"
3. At Triggers tab, click New.
1. Specify when you want to stop the "Google Backup and Sync" process and click OK. *
* e.g. At this example we setup to stop the Google backup process Daily at 7.00AM
4. At Actions tab, click New.
1. At Program/Script field, type the following command:
2. At Add arguments (optional) filed type:
- /f /im "googledrivesync.exe"
3. Click OK.
5. Click OK again to close the Create Task window.
You 're done. If you want to modify the scheduled settings of Google Backup/Sync process in the future, then open Task Scheduler and select the Task Scheduler Library to view and modify the scheduled tasks.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.