This tutorial contains instructions on how to setup MikroTik for the first time. MikroTik Routers have become very popular in recent years because they help you create a stable and secure home or office network at an affordable price.
For this tutorial I have used the MikroTik RB760iGS – hEX S 5- port Gigabit Ethernet router and the WinBox utility to configure MikroTik to act as a Router (with NAT) with the following IP settings:
Eth1 (WAN/Internet Port)
WAN IP: 192.168.1.151 (Provided by ISP)
WAN GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1 (Provided by ISP)
WAN DNS1: 192.168.1.1 (Provided by ISP)
WAN DNS2: 188.8.131.52 (Google Public DNS Server)
Eth2, Eth3, Eth4, etc. (Private Network)
LAN IP: 192.168.88.1
LAN IP Address Range (DHCP): 192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
How to Basic Configure MikroTik using WinBox.
Step 1. Connect MikroTik to your Network & to your PC.
1. Connect with an Ethernet cable (RJ45), the MikroTik's Eth1 Port with your ISP's Internet Modem/Router.
2. Connect with another Ethernet cable (RJ45) one of the other MikroTik's Ethernet Ports (e.g. the Eth2), with your PC.
Step 2. Configure MikroTik with WinBox.
1. According your Windows version (32 or 64bit), download the WinBox utility.
2. Run the WinBox application and click Connect. *
* Note: Every router is factory pre-configured with the IP address 192.168.88.1 on the Eth1 port. The default username is admin with no password.
3. Click OK at the Default Configuration information message – window.
4. Now click the Quick Set button on the left pane.
5. In the 'Quick Set' window, apply the following settings:
A. At 'Configuration Mode', choose Router.
B. At 'Internet' section, select the Port Eth1, which is connected to your ISP's Modem/Router. (This port will be used to access the public network and the Internet).
C. At 'Address Acquisition' choose Static and below specify an IP address and fill in all the other IP details (Netmask, Gateway and DNS), that needed to access the public network, according to your ISP's configuration. At this example, I use the following configuration:
- IP Address: 192.168.1.151
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0
- Gateway: 192.168.1.1
- DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1 & 184.108.40.206
D. At 'Local Network' section, you can specify the IP settings for the Internal/Private Network. For this example, leave the default IP Address "192.168.88.1" and the default DHCP Server Range "192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254".
E. When done, type a Password to secure the Router for unauthorized access and then click OK to apply the changes.
Step 3. Configure NAT on MikroTik.
Now it's time to configure NAT, in order to allow the LAN users to access the Internet. To do that:
1. In WinBox utility, click IP -> Firewall
2. Select the NAT tab and then double click at the existing NAT Rule.
3. At General tab, at Chain choose srcnat and below (at the Src. Address input box), type the LAN IP block:192.168.88.0/24 for the Private network.
4. Then, click the Action tab, choose masquerade and click OK to apply the change.
5. At this point, you have completed the basic MikroTik setup. Connect all your computers to MikroTik and if you have Internet access you have successfully completed the task.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.