Last updated on July 8th, 2015
AUTOPCBACKUP (Auto PC Backup by MindSpark ) is a suspicious backup software that gets on your computer as a bundled software when you download and install other free software from the Internet. When Auto Pc Backup is installed on your computer, it runs on Windows Start-up, it compromises your security and displays annoying pop up ads.
The Auto Pc Backup looks legitimate, but if you want to uninstall the program from your computer (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs), then your computer freezes and the only way to get your computer back in operation is to shut it down using the power button.
Technically Auto Pc Backup is not a virus and is categorized as a suspicious program, that may contain and install other malicious programs on your computer, like malware, adware, toolbars or viruses. When your computer is infected with AUTOPCBACKUP , then it continuously displays messages and advertisements. Another symptom upon infection, is that your computer speed may be slowed down due to malicious programs running on the background.
AUTOPCBACKUP, was probably installed without the user's notice because it is commonly bundled inside other freeware software which are downloaded -and installed- from known internet sites like “download.com (CNET)”, “Softonic.com”, etc. For that reason, you must always pay attention at the installations options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contain additional software that you never wanted to install. In simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically, when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the “Next” button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ & ACCEPT CAREFULLY the Terms and Agreements.
- ALWAYS SELECT: “Custom” installation.
- DECLINE to install any offered additional software that you don’t want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified.
How to remove Autopcbackup Application & Autopcbackup Toolbar from your computer:
Step 1: Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
Start your computer in Safe mode with network support. To do that:
Windows 7, Vista & XP users:
- Close all programs and reboot your computer.
- Press the "F8" key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo.
- When the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrow keys to highlight the “Safe Mode with Networking” option and then press "ENTER".
Windows 8 & 8.1 users*:
* Also works in Windows 7, Vista & XP.
3. Click the Boot tab and check “Safe Boot” & “Network”.
4. Click “OK” and restart your computer.
Note: In order to boot Windows in “Normal Mode” again, you have to uncheck the “Safe Boot” setting by using the same procedure.
Step 2. Remove AUTOPCBACKUP malicious registry settings with RogueKiller.
RogueKiller is an anti-malware program written and is able to detect, stop & remove generic malwares and some advanced threats such as rootkits, rogues, worms, etc.
1. Download and save RogueKiller (local version) utility on your computer'* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system's version. To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Wait until the pre-scan is completed and then, read and “Accept” the license terms.
4. Press the “Scan” button to scan your computer for malicious threats and malicious startup entries.
5. Finally, when the full scan is completed, click the “Registry” tab, select all malicious items found and then press the "Delete"button to remove them.
(If asked, press Yes to reboot your computer)
6. Close “RogueKiller” and continue to the next step.
Step 3. Uninstall AUTOPCBACKUP application from your Control Panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 7 & Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Windows 8 & 8.1:
2. Double click to open:
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features (or “Uninstall a Program”) if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. When the program list is displayed on your screen:
1. Sort the the programs displayed by Installation date (Click at Installed On).
2. Remove (Uninstall) any unknown program that was recently installed on your system.
3. Uninstall the follow applications:
- AutoPCBackup Toolbar & Supporting Application.
* Notice: If you receive the following error message during uninstall: “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall”, then follow this guide to uninstall all malicious programs and then continue to the next steps.
Step 4. Manually delete remaining Auto PC Backup files.
1. Open Windows explorer and navigate to “C:\Program Files\” folder.
2. Delete all the folders listed below, if they exist:
Step 5: Remove Auto PC Backup with AdwCleaner.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your computer.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your computer.
3. After accepting the “License Agreement”, press the “Scan” button.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
5. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
6. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 6. Remove Auto PC Backup with the Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 7. Remove Auto PC Backup with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, press the “Quarantine All” (Remove Selected) button to remove all threats found.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restart, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan in Windows "Safe mode". Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.
Step 8 – Optional – Remove Auto PC Backup Toolbar and Search settings from Internet Explorer, Chrome & Firefox.
To ensure that “Auto PC Backup” infection is completely removed from your Internet browser, reset your Internet Browser Settings to their default values.
Remove Auto PC Backup from Internet Explorer
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
2. Click the “Advanced” tab.
3. Choose “Reset”.
4. Check (to enable) the “Delete personal settings” box and choose “Reset”.
5. After the resetting action is completed, press “Close” and then choose “OK” to exit Internet Explorer options.
6. Close all windows and restart Internet Explorer.
Remove Auto PC Backup from Chrome
2. Look at the end of “Settings” options and press the “Show advanced settings” link.
3. Scroll all the page down and press the “Reset Browser Settings” button.
4. Press the “Reset” button again.
5. Restart Google Chrome.
Remove Auto PC Backup from Firefox.
1. From Firefox menu, go to “Help” > “Troubleshooting Information”.
2. In “Troubleshooting Information” window, press “Reset Firefox” button to reset Firefox to its default state.
3. Press “Reset Firefox" again.
4. After the resetting job is completed, Firefox restarts.