Last updated on June 4th, 2019
If you have installed the Windows Server 2016 with the Desktop Experience (GUI), and you use the Server Manager to manage your server, then probably you have seen that the "Maps Broker" service (Display Name=Downloaded Maps Manager), appears with a red indication with status "Stopped".
Maps Broker service, is an unnecessary service for Server 2016, because is used for application access to downloaded maps. This service is started on-demand by application accessing downloaded maps. So, disabling this service will only prevent apps from accessing maps.
This tutorial contains instructions to disable the Maps Broker service, in order to resolve the Downloaded Maps Manager (Maps Broker) Error in Server 2016.
How to Disable Maps Broker (Downloaded Maps Manager) Service on Server 2016.
Part 1. Disable Maps Broker in a Windows Server 2016.
If you want to disable the Maps Broker service on a Windows Server 2016, then follow one of the follow methods.
Method 1. Disable Maps Broker Service through Services.
3. Right click on Downloaded Maps Manager service and select Properties.
4. Set the 'Startup Type' to Disabled and click OK.
5. Restart Server 2016.
Method 2. Disable Maps Broker Service From PowerShell.
To disable the "Downloaded Maps Manager' (Maps Broker) service using PowerShell:
1. Open Windows PowerShell.
2. Type the following command and press Enter.
- Get-Service -Name MapsBroker | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled
Part 2. Disable Maps Broker service on all Windows Servers 2016 using Group Policy (GPO).
If you ant to disable the Maps Broker service to all Windows Servers 2016 on your network, then set the "Downloaded Maps Manager" to Disabled in GPO. To do that:
1. From Server Manager's Tools menu, select Group Policy Management.
2. Right click at Default Domain Controllers Policy and select Edit.
3. In Group Policy Management Editor go to:
- Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> System Services
4. At the right pane double click at Download Maps Manager.
5. At 'Download Maps Manager Properties' window, check Define this Policy Setting, select Disabled and then click OK.
6. Restart your server.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.