FIX: 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' option is Missing.
If you're running Windows 10/11 and the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is missing in the 'User Accounts' options, continue reading below to fix the problem.
Windows gives users the option to bypass the login screen and to sign-in directly to Windows, by deselecting the option "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" in User Accounts settings.
But in newer versions of Windows 10 & Windows 11, this option is missing, (as you can see in the screenshot below). If you face the same issue, follow the instructions below to restore that option in order to login to Windows without having to type a username/password.
How to Restore the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" in Windows 10/11.
In order to force Windows 10/11 to display the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option in the "User Accounts" settings, proceed and make the following modification in Windows Registry:
1. Open Registry Editor. To do that:
1. Simultaneously press the Win + R keys to open the run command box.
2. Type regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to this key at left pane:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device
3. On the right side, open the DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion REG_DWORD value, change the value data from 2 to 0 and click OK.
5. Close the Registry Editor.
6. Now press the Win + R keys to open the run command box.
7. Type netplwiz and hit Enter, to open the User Accounts window.
3a. In User Accounts window, the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option should be appear now.
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
We're looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It's about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.