How to Change Windows Password on Windows 10/11 (All methods).
As you may know, it is vital to protect your computer and your personal information with passwords. Having a strong password will give you greater protection from hackers and malware.
Also, for extra security, it is good practice to change your passwords frequently to protect your privacy. In the list below, you will find all the available methods for changing your Windows password, or to reset another user's password.
How to Change/Reset Password in Windows 11/10/8.1/7 OS. *
1. If you want to reset the Windows password on another account, follow the instructions on methods 3, 4 or 5.
2. If you want to reset your Windows password in case you forget it, see the instructions in this article: How to Reset Windows Password if you forget it.
For Microsoft Accounts:
If you connect to Windows 10/11 by using an MS account, and you want to change your password, navigate to your Microsoft Account page and at Security section click the Change my Password link. Follow the instructions and set the new password. After changing the password, restart your computer and login to Windows 10/11 using the new password.
For Local Accounts:
If you login to Windows by using a local account, follow one of the methods below to change your password.
Method 1. Change Password in Accounts options.
The first and usual method to change your password in Windows, is by using the Sign-in options in Accounts settings.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings and select Accounts from the list of options available.
2. Click on Sign-in options from the left pane and select Password in the right side of the window.
3. Now click on the Change button under Password.
4. Enter your current password first, then type the new one and click OK. (You will need to enter the new password twice to confirm it.).
5. Restart your PC and login to Windows using the new password.
Method 2. Change Windows Password from Ctrl + Alt + Delete options.
The next and easy method to change your account's password, is from the Ctrl+Alt+Delete option "Change a password".
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together on your keyboard.
2. Click on the Change a password option on your screen.
3. At the next screen, enter your current password and then type the new password that you wish to set twice.
4. Once done, press Enter or click on the Arrow button associated with the confirm password box to apply the change.
5. Restart your computer, or Sign-out and sign back in to implement the changes.
Method 3. Reset Windows Password from Control Panel.
The classic method to change your password, or to reset another user's password,* is by using the User Accounts options in Control Panel.
* Note: To reset the password of another user, you must login to Windows with an account with Administrative privileges.
1. At the search box type control panel to open it.
2. Change the "View by" to "Small icons" and open User Accounts.
3. Now click on Manage another account option.
4. Now select the account that you want to change its password.
5. Now click Change the Password.
6. Now type the new password twice and click Change password.
Method 4. Change or Reset Password from Command Prompt.
One of the classic methods to change a password in Windows is by using the "net user" command:
1. At the Search box type cmd and then open Command Prompt as Administrator.
3. Inside the Command Prompt window, give the following command to list all the users in Windows.
- net user
4. Now locate the username of the account/user you want to change the password for, and give the following command to change its password:
- net user Username NewPassword
* Note: Replace Username with your username and replace NewPassword with the password that you wish to use.
Method 5. Reset Windows Password with LUSRMGR.MSC utility.
If you own Windows 10/11 Professional version, you can reset Windows password from Local Users and Groups options:
1. Press Windows + R keys together to open a Run dialog.
2. Type lusrmgr.msc in the text field of the dialog box and hit Enter.
3a. Choose Users on the left.
3b. Now, right-click on the account you wish to change password and choose Set password from the context menu.
4. Select Proceed in the dialog box.
5. Now specify the new password and then confirm it. When done, click OK to save changes.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
We're looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It's about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.