In a previous article I mentioned the way to reinstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 if you face problems with the browser. Microsoft Edge is a core component in Windows 10 and for that reason its not possible to completely remove the app by using usual methods.
In this tutorial you 'll find instructions on how to completely remove Microsoft Edge browser from Windows 10. *
1. If you 're interested to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Edge then read this tutorial: How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Edge.
2. The below instructions are tested in Windows 10 Version 1709 (Build: 16299.125)
To see the installed Windows 10 Version & Build:
3. At the second line you can view the installed version and build of Windows 10.
How to Completely Remove Edge in Windows 10.
Step 1. Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode.
- Related article: How to Enable the F8 key in Windows 10/8 OS.
3. Click the Boot tab and then check the “Safe Boot” option.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.
Step 2. Enable Hidden Files.
1. Open Windows explorer.
2. Click the View tab and go to Options > Change folder and search options.
3. At "Folder Options" select the View tab:
a. Check the Show hidden files, folders, and drives checkbox.
b. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box. (Click Yes to confirm)
c. Click Apply to folders and then click OK.
Step 3. Rename Microsoft Edge folders.
1. Navigate to the following location:
2. Rename the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" folder to "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe.BAK"
4. Then navigate to then following location:
5. Rename the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" folder to "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe.BAK". *
- Note: If you cannot rename the folder, "because the folder it is open in another program…"
a. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and open Task Manager.
b. At 'Processes' tab, right-click at Microsoft Edge and select End Task.
c. Proceed to rename the folder.
Step 4. Restart Windows 10 normally.
Step 5. Remove Microsoft Edge Shortcuts.
1. After restart you 'll see that the Edge shortcut at the taskbar is displayed blank. Right click on it and select Unpin from taskbar.
2. Then right click at "Microsoft Edge" shortcut at Start screen and select Unpin from Start.
You 're done! If you want to change your decision about the EDGE browser in the future, just follow the same steps, and remove the ".BAK" extension from the above mentioned Microsoft Edge folders.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.