Last updated on March 21st, 2019
In Windows 10, 8, 8.1 operating systems, Microsoft updated its security protection with the Windows Defender Antivirus program. The Windows Defender (previously known as Microsoft Security Essentials) offers more protection to your Windows system from viruses, Trojans, worms and other malicious programs that can harm your computer.
When you buy a Windows 8 computer today, Microsoft Windows Defender is already bundled inside the new operating system, but for the reason that some OEM manufacturers prefer to install trial versions of antivirus protection programs from other manufacturers like Norton, McAffee, etc. the Windows Defender is disabled. If you don’t like the manufacturer's antivirus, then you can uninstall it from your control panel and then you can enable and use Windows Defender to protect your computer.
(FIX: Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer).
In this article I will explain how to enable the default Windows Antivirus Protection ('Windows Defender' in Windows 10 or the 'Microsoft Security Essentials' if you own Windows 7 or Vista).
How to enable Windows Defender Antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) in Windows 10, 8, 7 & Vista OS.
1. You can easily enable Windows Defender from your control panel. To do this, go to: *
* Attention: Uninstall any other third party antivirus before you continue below.
1a. Windows 7: Start > Control Panel.
1b. Windows 8: Right click on the bottom left corner and select Control Panel }
2. From “Control Panel” menu items, double click to open “Action Center”. (In Windows 10 OS open the "Security and Maintenance" item)
3. In “Action Center” settings, press the “Turn on now” button to enable “Windows Defender”. *
1. In Windows 7, Vista OS you have to press the “Turn on now” button beside “Virus Protection” options.
2. In Windows 10 OS press the Turn on now button next to Spyware and unwanted software protection.
3. If after pressing the "Turn ON" button nothing happens, then follow the instructions on this guide: How to fix: Cannot Start Windows Defender on Windows 10 or Windows 8.
4. After Windows Defender Activation you should view the follow screen on your computer.
5. After you have enabled Windows Defender, press the “Update” tab and proceed to update its virus database.
6. In “Update” options, press the “Update” button to start updating Windows virus and spyware definitions.
That's it! I hope that this article was useful for you.
Please leave a comment below if it helped you or not. It really helps us a lot. Thanks.