Windows 10 & Windows 8 come with a lot of default built-in Apps preinstalled. These built-in apps are called "provisioned apps" and are scheduled to be installed to each newly created user. The provisioned apps, cannot be removed through Windows GUI like all other modern apps and if you want to uninstall them from your system you have to use PowerShell commands.
In a previous tutorial we showed the way to uninstall particular Windows Modern apps. In this tutorial I will show you how to uninstall – at once – all the provisioned (built-in) apps in a Windows 10 or in Windows 8 based computer. Keep in mind that when you uninstall a default modern app from PowerShell, you only un-register the app from account(s). If you want to completely remove (also) the app's installation packages then follow the instructions in this article: How to delete the Provisioned App's installation package files in Windows 10, 8.
- Related articles: How to uninstall particular apps in Windows 10.
How to remove all Pre-Installed (Provisioned) Windows Store Apps from Windows 10 & Windows 8.
Step 1. Open PowerShell with Admin privileges.
1. At Cortana's search box, type powershell *
* Note: On Windows 8, 8.1: Press the "Windows" + "S" keys to open the search box and type powershell.
2. Right click on Windows PowerShell on the results and select Run as administrator.
Step 2. Remove all Built-in Provisioned Apps in Windows 10, 8.1 & 8 OS.
Part 1. How to Remove All Default (Built-in) Apps from a Particular User Account.
Suggestion: The below command removes all modern apps from a specified account only. In my opinion, I don't suggest to do that because some apps are important for Windows to work properly.
- To remove all built-in apps only from the current account give the following command:
- Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage
- To remove all Default Modern Apps for a specific user account, give the following command:
- Get-AppxPackage –User UserName | Remove-AppxPackage
* Where UserName: type the username of the account that you want to remove the default installed apps from its profile.
Example No 1: If you want to remove all the defaults installed apps for the user account "User1" in a personal (local) computer, then you have to type this command:
- Get-AppxPackage –User User1 | Remove-AppxPackage
Example No 2: If you want to remove all the default built-in apps for the user "User1" in a computer that belongs to the domain named "WINTIPS", then you have to type the following command:
- Get-AppxPackage –User WINTIPS\User1 | Remove-AppxPackage
If you want to restore (re-install) all built-in apps in the future read this article: How to re-install Default Built-in Apps in Windows 10.
Part 2. How to Remove All Default (Built-in) Apps from All User Accounts.
1. To remove all the default apps from all users on a Windows 10 computer give the following command in the PowerShell (Admin) window * :
* Suggestion: The below command removes all modern apps from all user accounts. In my opinion, I don't suggest to do that because some apps are important for Windows to work properly. **
- Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
- If you want to delete all the App provisioned packages (installation files) then follow the instructions on this article. How to delete the Provisioned App's installation package files in Windows 10, 8.
- If you want to restore (re-install) all built-in apps in the future read this article: How to re-install Default Built-in Apps in Windows 10.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.