Last updated on April 18th, 2016
The default apps that are installed in every newly created user, on a Windows 10, 8.1 & 8 based computer, are called provisioned (or "pre-installed") apps and all the apps that are downloaded and installed from Windows Store are called installed apps.
When you remove an app (provisioned or installed), in fact you only un-register the app (you make the app unavailable) to the user (s).
That means that all the installation package files (provisioned or downloaded) that are used to install the app(s) still remain on your computer even after you uninstall the app.
The installation packages are stored at this location on your computer:
- C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ *
* Note: The "WindowsApps" folder is hidden and has restrictions from accessing it. If you want to view its contents, read this article: How to get access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ folder in Windows 10 & Windows 8.
In this tutorial I 'll show you how to completely clean the provisioned packages and files, after you uninstall an app, in order to keep your computer clean from useless files.
How to delete the default built-in (provisioned) package files.
Attention: Keep in mind, that if you delete the provisioned installation files from your system, then the preinstalled default apps will be unavailable to every user on your system and the only method to reinstall the default apps (on the future), is to download and install them from Windows Store.
Part 1. How to remove a particular provisioned package Windows 10,8.1, & 8 OS.
1. First uninstall the desired app from all existed users on your system, by following the instructions on this tutorial. How to remove – uninstall – particular Apps in Windows 10 / 8.
2. After uninstall, give the following command to get a list of all available provisioned on your system.
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | Select PackageName
3. Then proceed to delete the desired provisioned package by giving this command *:
- Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName <PackageName>
Part 2.How to remove All Provisioned packages in Windows 10,8.1, & 8 OS.
1. First uninstall all default built-in (provisioned) apps from all users on your system by following the instructions on this tutorial: How to remove all the Default Built-in (Preinstalled–Provisioned) apps in Windows 10, 8.
2. After uninstall, proceed to remove and delete all provisioned package files from your system, by giving the following command:
- Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online