Last updated on December 27th, 2018
If you own a Windows computer and you want to rename the user account then continue reading this tutorial. To change the account name either for a local account or for a Microsoft account (if you 're own Windows 10), is an easy task and doesn't need special skills and takes only a few minutes.
This tutorial contains instructions to rename the User Account Name in all Windows versions (Windows 10, 8/8.1 & 7 OS).
- Related article: How to rename the User Profile folder in Windows.
How to change the Username of a Local Account in Windows. *
* Note: If your 're using Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account, then the only way to change your account's name, is by modifying "Your Info" at Microsoft account webpage, or by going to Settings app > Accounts > Your Account > Manage My Microsoft Account to open your Microsoft profile page.
Method 1. Change Username from Advanced User Accounts Properties – NETPLWIZ
3. Select the User Account that you want to rename and click Properties. *
e.g. Let's suppose that the user account name that you want to change is "Mike" and you want to change it to "John".
4. At General tab:
- User name: Change the current username (e.g. "Mike") to the desired username (e.g. "John")
- Full Name: Type your Full Name (e.g. "John Smith")
5. When done, click OK twice to close the "User Accounts" options.
6. Sign-Out or restart your computer to apply changes.
7. You 're done! If you want to change also the name of your user profile folder to the new name, then read this tutorial: How to Rename User Account folder (Profile folder) in Windows 10/8/7.
Method 2. Change Account Name from User Accounts in Control panel
1. In Search box, type control panel
2. Click at Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts
4. Click User Accounts again.
5. Click Change your Account name.
6. Type the new name and then click Change Name.
6. Sign-Out or restart your computer to apply changes. *
* Note: If you want to change also the name of your profile folder to the new name, then read this tutorial: How to Rename the User Profile folder in Windows.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.