"PowerShell has stopped working" problem is caused after the Poweliks (Win32/Poweliks) or after the Gootkit (Win32/Gootkit) virus has compromised your computer.
"Powershell has stopped working" error is followed by a non clarified message that says that "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". If you confirm and close the program, Windows cannot find a solution for the problem and continues to prompt you with the "Powershell has stopped working" error message. Also, upon Poweliks virus infection, Windows show the following symptoms:
- Slow Performance (Max CPU and Memory usage).
- Multiple 'dllhost.exe' processes are running on the background.
- Unable to browse the Internet (pages are blocked) or to download file(s).
Poweliks or Gootkit virus(es) can infect your computer after visiting a malicious website, after opening an infected email attachment from an unknown sender or after installing a software downloaded from the Internet. For that reason, DO NOT open e-mails from unknown senders that inform you that you won a large sum of money, or e-mails that include attachments with suspicious extensions, e.g.: exe, .bat, .com, .vbs or .scr .pif , etc. Also always pay attention to the installation options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contain additional software that you don't want to install. In simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically, when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the “Next” button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ VERY CAREFULLY the Terms and Agreements before clicking “Accept”.
- ALWAYS SELECT: “Custom” installation.
- DECLINE to install any offered additional software that you don’t want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified.
How to remove Poweliks Virus and solve the "PowerShell has stopped working" issue:
Step 1: Start your computer in “Safe Mode with Networking”.
To start your computer in Safe mode with network support:
Windows 7, Vista & XP users:
- Close all programs and reboot your computer.
- Press the "F8" key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo.
- When the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrow keys to highlight the “Safe Mode with Networking” option and then press "ENTER".
Windows 8 & 8.1 users*:
* Also works in Windows 7, Vista & XP.
3. Click the Boot tab and check “Safe Boot” & “Network”.
4. Click “OK” and restart your computer.
Note: In order to boot Windows in “Normal Mode” again, you have to uncheck the “Safe Boot” setting by using the same procedure.
Step 2. Reset Internet Browser Settings to Default.
2. Type “inetcpl.cpl" (without quotes) and press Enter.
3. Click the “Advanced” tab.
4. Choose “Reset”.
5. Check (to enable) the “Delete personal settings” box and choose “Reset”.
6. After the resetting action is completed, press “Close” and then choose “OK” to exit Internet Explorer options.
Step 3. Stop & Remove malicious programs with RogueKiller.
RogueKiller is an anti-malware program that is able to detect, stop & remove generic malwares and some advanced threats such as rootkits, rogues, worms, etc.
1. Download and save "RogueKiller" utility on your computer'* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system's version. To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Wait until the pre-scan is completed and then, read and “Accept” the license terms.
4. Press the “Scan” button to scan your computer for malicious threats and malicious startup entries.
5. Finally, when the full scan is completed, check all items found at “Registry”, "Files" and "Web Browsers" tabs, and then press the "Delete"button to remove them.
6. Close “RogueKiller” and continue to the next step.
Step 4: Remove Adware files and entries with AdwCleaner.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your computer.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your computer.
3. After accepting the “License Agreement”, press the “Scan” button.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
5. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
6. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window.
7. Restart your computer and boot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking again.
Step 5. Clean Poweliks or Gootkit entries with Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 6. Remove Poweliks Virus infection with ‘Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free’ Full Scan.
Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. Press the “Scan” option from the top menu.
3. Select “Custom” scan and then click the “Scan Now” button.
4. At “Custom Scan Configuration” options, first check all available scanning options from the left pane, select the disk(s) to scan from the right pane and finally press the “Start Scan” button to scan your entire system for malware.
5. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
6. When the scan has completed, press the “Quarantine All” button to remove all threats found.
7. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
8. After the system restart, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
You 're done! Now, you should be free from Poweliks or Gootkit virus infection.