“Amazon Browser Toolbar” (by “Amazon.com”) was probably installed on your computer when you downloaded and installed other free software on it and upon installed, your homepage was changed to Amazon Websearch homepage (“amazon.com/websearch”) and your browser settings were replaced with Amazon’s search settings.
Technically, “Amazon Browser bar” is a browser hijacker because it modifies your search settings in order to perform browsing redirects and display advertisements from unknown publishers.
You must be careful when you install free software on your computer so that you don"t accidentally install additional unwanted software or toolbars.
If you want to completely remove Amazon homepage, Amazon Browser bar & Amazon Search Settings, from your computer, use the steps below:
How to remove Amazon Browser bar & Amazon Browser Settings from your computer:
Step 1. Uninstall "Amazon” software from your Windows Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove (Uninstall) the following applications:
- Amazon Browser Bar (Amazon)
- Amazon Browser Settings (Amazon)
Step 2: Clean remaining Adware software using “AdwCleaner”.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 3. Manually delete all “Amazon” files/folders.
1. Open Windows explorer and navigate to “C:\Program Files” folder. Delete all the folders listed bellow:
- Amazon Browser Bar
2. Restart your computer and continue to Step 3.
Step 4. Ensure that Amazon Browser toolbar & Amazon search settings don’t exist anymore on your internet browser.
Usually, after performing the previous steps, your browser is clean. If you want to ensure that your browser is totally clean from Amazon search settings, then choose your browser from the list bellow and follow the detailed instructions.
How to remove Amazon Search & Amazon toolbar from Internet Explorer.
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
2. At “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage “http://www.amazon.com/websearch/” from “Home page” box & type your preferred Home Page (e.g. www.google.com)
3. At “Search” section, press “Settings” in Search section. *
Notice*: If you want to modify search settings in Internet explorer while in main Internet Explorer window, just press the “Gear” icon (on the top right corner) and choose “Manage Add-ons” .
4. On "Search Providers" options, choose and "Set as default" a search provider other than the unwanted search provider “Amazon”.
5. Then choose the unwanted search provider “Amazon” and click Remove.
6. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions” on the left pane and then select the unwanted Amazon Services (“Amazon Browser bar” & “AlxHelper Class”) & click "Disable"
7. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart your browser.
8. Proceed to Step 5.
How to remove Amazon Homepage, Amazon Search & Amazon toolbar from Google Chrome.
2. On “Startup” section, choose “Set Pages“.
3. Delete the unwanted webpage "http://www.amazon.com/websearch/" from startup pages by pressing the "X" symbol on the right.
4. Set your preferred startup page (e.g. http://www.google.com) and press "OK".
5. Under “Appearance” section, check to enable the “Show Home button” option and choose “Change”.
6. Delete the unwanted webpage “http://www.amazon.com/websearch/” entry from “Open this page” box.
7. Type (if you like) you preferred webpage to open when you press your “Home page” button (e.g. www.google.com) or leave this field blank and press “OK”.
5. Go to "Search" section and choose "Manage search engines".
6. Choose your preferred default search engine (e.g. Google search) and press "Make default".
7. Then choose the unwanted search engine “Amazon” and remove it by pressing the "X" symbol at the right.
Choose "Done" to close "Search engines" window.
8. Choose "Extensions" on the left.
9. Remove the unwanted “Amazon For Chrome” extension from here by pressing the “recycle icon” to the right.
10. Close all Google Chrome windows and restart your browser.
11. Proceed to Step 5.
How to remove Amazon Homepage, Amazon Search & Amazon toolbar from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Options”.
2. In “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage: “http://www.amazon.com/websearch” page from “Home Page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. http://www.google.com).
Press “OK” when finished.
3. From Firefox menu, go to “Tools” > “Manage Add-ons”.
4. Choose “Extensions” on the left and then “Disable” the unwanted “Amazon Browser Bar” extension.
5. Close all Firefox windows and restart your browser.
Step 5. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO:
*If you don’t know how to install and use “MalwareBytes Anti-Malware“, read these instructions.
Advice: To ensure your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in windows “Safe mode“.*
*To get into Windows Safe mode, press the “F8” key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo. When the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to move to the Safe Mode option and then press “ENTER“.
Step 6. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.