One common problem faced on many computers is the slow launching or termination of MS Word. This problem is usually due to a corrupted or problematic "Normal.dot" template. The "Normal.dot" template is the location where word saves all the default settings (e.g. font type, font size etc.) and it is used with every word file –blank or not- you open.
This tutorial fixes the following problem(s) of Word: Word is to slow to start, load documents or close.
To solve these problems find the word templates location folder and delete the "Normal.dot" (or "Normal.dotm" if you have Word 2007/2010) file. To do this follow these steps:
1. With your MS Word application closed, go to Start > Run
2. At the "Run command box" copy and paste one of the following commands according to your operating system version and then press OK
a. For Windows XP:
- %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\
b. For Windows Vista / Windows 7 /Windows 8 & Windows 10:
2. Locate the file called "Normal.dot" if you have Word 2003, or the "Normal.dotm" file if you have Word 2007, 2010, 2013 or a later version of MS Office and delete it. Don't worry about the deletion. Next time you open MS Word, a new, clean Normal Template (Normal.dot, Normal.dotm), will be created.
Now open MS Word and enjoy writing! *
* Additional help: If after performing the above, the Word is still slow when launching or closing then restore it to its default settings by following the steps below:
a. Close Word.
b. Open the Registry Editor. (To do that, at "Run" command box, type REGEDIT and press Enter.)
c. At Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry location according the installed Word (Office) version: