Last updated on November 17th, 2015
Today, one of my clients informed me that he could not print in the network printer due to the following error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000006". At first I tried to reboot Windows and restart the spooler service without success. Then I tried to remove and re-install the printer drivers. At this trial, the computer sees and connect to the shared printer normally (installs the drivers without problems), but when the user tries to print from any application, he gets the same error from Windows: Print operation failed with error 0x00000006.
Finally I found the following solution to fix the "0x00000006" printer problem:
How to fix the Print Operation Failed Error 0x00000006 while printing.
Step 1. Uninstall current printer driver.
This step is optional. Uninstall the drivers of the network printer that you cannot connect to, if you have previously installed them.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 7 & Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Windows 8 & 8.1:
2. Double click to open Devices and Printers.
3. Right click on the (problematic) network printer and select Remove device.
Step 2. Add the network printer as local.
1. In Device and Printers window, choose Add a printer.
2. In the Add Printer window, choose Add a local printer.
3. At the next window, choose Create a new port and make sure that the type of port is Local Port. Then choose Next.
4. At the pop-up window, as a port name, type the network path and the name of the network printer at the following format and then press OK:
Where: ComputerName, is the name of the workstation which the printer is connected to and the PrinterName is the shared name of the printer.
e.g. If the Computer Name is "Station1" and the printer's shared name is "HPJ6400" then you have to type "\\Station1\HPJ6400".
5. Continue to install the printer's drivers. *
* Notice: If you still receive the error "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000006" when you try to add the network printer, then follow the instructions in Step 3 before adding the printer.
6. When finished, try to print to your printer.
Now, you should print without problems, but if you still face the same printer problem (error 0x00000006), follow the instructions at Step 3 below.
Step 3. Delete invalid registry key(s).
This step is optional. Just follow the instructions on it, only if you still face errors when you try to print.
Open Registry editor. To do that:
2. Type regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
IMPORTANT: Before you continue, first take a backup of your registry. To do that:
- From the main menu, go to File & select Export.
- Specify a destination location (e.g. your Desktop), give a filename to the exported registry file (e.g. “RegistryUntouched”), select at Export range: All and press Save.
3. After you backed up your registry, navigate (from the left pane) to this key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers
4. Under Providers key, right click and delete the "Client Side Rendering Print Providers" key.
5. Restart your computer and try to print to your printer again.
You 're done!