Skype.dat is a malware program and once your computer is infected with the “Skype.dat” virus, your computer is locked and you cannot work with it anymore. The Skype.dat operates as other ransomware viruses (Trojan:W32/Ransom) like FBI Police virus and asks you to pay a fee of 100$ or more to unlock your computer, otherwise your computer will remain locked. The “Skype.dat” virus has no relation with the famous messaging program “Skype” and infects your computer after visiting malicious webpages or after downloading and installing a malicious application. When the “Skype.dat” virus infects your computer, it drops two files on your user profile roaming folder: “skype.dat” and “skype.ini”. The full path of virus files is:
Windows 8, 7, Vista
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\skype.dat
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\skype.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\skype.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\skype.ini
You must remove skype.dat virus as soon as possible before it harms more your computer.
You can easily remove Skype.dat and unlock your computer using the following steps:
How to remove "your computer is locked" or "white screen" (Skype.dat) virus :
Step 1. Download RogueKiller
1. From another computer download and save "RogueKiller" utility into a USB flash drive.
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according the infected operating system’s version if you remember it, otherwise download both versions to your USB flash drive.
Step 2. Start the infected computer in “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
1. Start up your infected computer and, as the computer is booting up, press the “F8” key before the Windows logo appears.
2. Using your keyboard arrows, select the “Safe Mode with command prompt” option and press “Enter”.
3. Inside command prompt window, type "explorer" and press "Enter".
Step 3. Clean you computer with RogueKiller
1. Plug the USB drive into the infected computer and optionally copy "RogueKiller" utility on the desktop.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller. Let the prescan to complete and then press on "Scan" button to perform a full scan.
7. When the full scan is completed, press the "Delete" button to remove all "Rans.Gendarm" malicious items found.
8. When "RogueKiller" removal process is completed, restart your computer and now normally you can log on to Windows without lock problem. Continue to next step.
Step 4. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install MalwareBytes Antimalware to clean all the malicious threats remaining on your computer.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “MalwareBytes Anti-Malware“, read these instructions.
Advice: To ensure your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in Windows “Safe mode“.*
*To get into Windows Safe mode, press the “F8” key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo. When the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to move to the Safe Mode option and then press “ENTER“.
Step 6. Delete Skype.dat (Computer is locked) virus dropped files.
1. Press Start Button and on Search box (Run) type: %appdata%
2. From inside your “Roaming” folder:
Windows 8, 7, Vista: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\
Delete the following two files if they exist: “skype.dat” & “skype.ini”.
Step 5. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.