Last updated on February 28th, 2018
“Safe PC Repair” is a fake optimization software and was probably installed on your computer as bundled software inside other free software programs that you downloaded and installed from the Internet. The “Safe PC Repair” utility pretends that it can fix several problems on your computer, but it does not provide a detailed report of what fixes are being applied on your system during its progress.
“SafePCRepair” toolbar is a browser hijacker program (extension or add-on) and upon installed on your computer, it modifies your search settings and your homepage in order to display advertisements and earn money.
To remove “Safe PC Repair” from your computer, follow the instructions given below:
How to get rid of “Safe PC Repair” Adware software.
Step 1: Start your computer in “Safe Mode with Networking”
Start your computer in Safe mode with network support. To do that:
Windows 7, Vista & XP users:
- Close all programs and reboot your computer.
- Press the "F8" key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo.
- When the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to highlight the “Safe Mode with Networking” option and then press "ENTER".
Windows 8 & 8.1 users:
- Press “Windows” + “R” keys to load the Run dialog box.
- Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
- Click the Boot tab and check “Safe Boot” & “Network”.
- Click “OK” and restart your computer.
Note: In order to boot Windows in “Normal Mode” again, you have to uncheck the “Safe Boot” setting by using the same procedure.
Step 2. Uninstall "SafePCRepair” toolbar from your Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove (Uninstall) these programs :
- SafePCRepair Internet Explorer Toolbar*
- * Also remove any other unknown or unwanted application.
Step 3: Remove SafePCRepair Adware & Unwanted Browser Toolbars.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 4. Remove “Safe PC Repair” entries from Windows Startup.
1. Download and run CCleaner.
2. At “CCleaner” main window, choose "Tools" on the left pane.
3. In "Tools" section, choose "Startup".
4. Choose "Windows” tab and then select and delete the following malicious entries:
- SafePCRepair EPM Support
5. Close CCleaner.
Step 5. Remove ‘Safe PC Repair’ with Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 6.Ensure that “SafePCRepair” homepage, toolbar & search settings are removed from your internet browser.
How to remove “SafePCRepair” toolbar & search settings from Internet Explorer.
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
3. At “Search” section, press “Settings”. *
Alternate method*: Press the “Gear” icon (on the top right corner) and choose “Manage Add-ons” .
4. On "Search Providers" options, choose and "Set as default" a search provider other than the unwanted search provider “Ask Web Search”.
5. Then choose the unwanted search provider “ASK Web Search” & click Remove.
6. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions” on the left pane and then “Disable” any unwanted toolbar or extension.
- Extensions to disable/remove in this case:
- All toolbars or extensions from “MindSpark Interactive Network”.
7. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart Internet Explorer.
8. Proceed to Step 7.
How to remove “SafePCRepair Toolbar” from Google Chrome.
2. Find the "On startup" section and choose "Set Pages".
3. Delete the "home.tb.ask.com" from startup pages by pressing the "X" symbol on the right.
4. Set your preferred startup page (e.g. http://www.google.com) and press "OK".
5. Under “Appearance” section, check to enable the “Show Home button” option and choose “Change”.
6. Delete the “search.ask.com” entry from “Open this page” box.
7. Type (if you like) your preferred webpage to open when you press your “Home page” button (e.g. www.google.com) or leave this field blank and press “OK”.
8. Go to "Search" section and choose "Manage search engines".
9. Choose your preferred default search engine (e.g. Google search) and press "Make default".
7. Then choose the Ask.com search engine “search.tb.ask.com" and remove it by pressing the "X" symbol at the right.
Choose "Done" to close "Search engines" window.
8. Choose "Extensions" on the left.
9. In “Extensions” options, remove the “Safe PC Repair” unwanted extension by clicking the recycle icon on the right.
10. Close all Google Chrome windows and proceed to Step 7.
How to remove “Safe PC Repair” toolbar & search settings from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Options”.
2. In “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage: “home.tb.ask.com” page from “Home Page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. http://www.google.com).
Press “OK” when finished.
3. From Firefox menu, go to “Tools” > “Manage Add-ons”.
4. Choose “Extensions” on the left and then remove the unwanted “SafePCRepair 6.33…” extension, by pressing the "Remove" button.
6. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
7. On Firefox URL box, type the following command: about:config & press Enter.
8. Click at “I’ll be careful, I promise” button.
9. In the search box, type: “mindspark” & press Enter.
10. Now right-click on every “mindspark” value found & select “Reset”.
11. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
Step 7. Remove “SafePCRepair” with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, first press the “Quarantine All” button to remove all threats and then click “Apply Actions”.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restart, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan in Windows "Safe mode". Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.