This tutorial contains detailed instructions to fix the Windows 10 Photos App didn't start (Photos won't open or crashes) problem, that prevent users to open and view image files or photos with the Photos App.
As, you may know, the Photos App, is the default application to view your photos and images in the Windows 10 and 8/8.1 OS. But, in some cases, especially after upgrading a system from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10 (e.g. from Windows 7 to 10), or after updating Windows 10, users may experienced the following issue with the Photos App: Photos is crashing or not launch and gives the errors: "The App didn't start" or "This App cannot open. Check Windows Store for more info about Photos".
How to fix: Photos App didn't start, Photos Cannot Open in Windows 10/8/8.1.
Important: Before applying the methods mentioned below, try the following and then see if the problem is fixed:
1. Install all available Windows Updates.
2. Change User Account Control (UAC) settings to the default level. (Always Notify)
3. Update the Display Drivers (VGA)
4. Update your security software or try to completely disable or uninstall it to avoid compatibility issues.
5. Perform a full Windows 10 shutdown and restart your PC. To full shutdown Windows 10, hold down the SHIFT key and go to Power –> Shutdown.
Method 1. Reset Windows Store Cache.
The first method to resolve problems with the Photos App (or any other Store Apps in Windows 10, is to reset the Windows Store Cache. To do that:
2. Type WSReset.exe and press Enter.
3. Close the Windows Store App and then try to launch the Photos App again.
Method 2. Fix Photos App with the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooting Utility.
1. Download the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter according to your Windows version:
- Download Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter for Windows 8
- Download Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter for Windows 10
2. Run the Store Apps troubleshooter and follow the on screen instructions to fix problems with the Store Apps.
3. When the repair is completed, try to launch the Photos App again.
Method 3. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools.
1. Open command prompt as administrator. To do that:
1. In the Search box type: cmd or command prompt
2. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Be patient until DISM repairs component store. When the operation is completed, (you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired), give this command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
4. When SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
Method 4. Uninstall and Reinstall Photos App.
If the Windows 10 Photos App is not working, then proceed to completely remove the Photos App from Windows 10 and then reinstall it. To do that:
1. At the search box, type powershell
2. Right click on Windows PowerShell on the results and select Run as administrator.
3. In PowerShell, give the following command to remove the Photos App:
- Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
4. Close PowerShell.
5. Finally open the Microsoft Store to download and install the Photos App again. To do that:
1. At Microsoft Store's search box type: Photos and click on "Microsoft Photos" App.
2. Click the Get button to reinstall the Photos App on your system
Method 5. Create a new User Account.
Proceed to create a new user account and login to the new user. Then check if the problem exist at the new user. To create a new user account:
1. Open Command prompt as Administrator.
2. In command prompt, give the following command to create a new account (e.g. with the username "User1" *)
- net user User1 /add
* Note: If you want change the username "User1" with your own choice.
3. Next add the new account to administrators group, with this command:
- net localgroup administrators User1 /add
4. Sign Out from the current user and sign in to the new account.
5. Check if the Photos App is working and apply the following actions:
– If the Photos app is not working on the new account too, then continue to the next method.
– If the Photos app is working on the new account, then sign out and login again to the old account and see if the problem is resolved. If the problem persists (on your old account), then transfer your settings and files to the new account.
Method 6. Repair Windows 10 with an in-place Upgrade.
Another method that usually can fix many problems in Windows 10, is to repair Windows with an in-place upgrade. For that task follow the detailed instructions at this article: How to repair Windows 10 with an in-place upgrade.
Method 7. Perform a Clean Windows 10 installation.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.