Last updated on July 5th, 2019
The following issue(s) may occur when you try to install the Windows 10 Update 1709, also known as 'Fall Creators Update': The Update fails to install or the update downloading procedure is stuck. In this tutorial you 'll find instructions on how to resolve the following issues when downloading or installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709:
Issue No1: When the download of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709 is completed, Windows asks to restart the system to install the update. After the system's restart, the Fall Creator Update is not installed and at the Update history you receive the following error: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709: Failed to install…" (error: 0x80080008)
Issue No2: After checking for new updates, Windows is starting to download the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 version 1709, but during the Downloading Updates operation, is stuck at xx% (e.g. at 85% or 99%) with error 0x80d02002.
In this tutorial you 'll find detailed instructions to resolve problems when installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709.
How to fix: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 Failed to install.
Suggestions: Before proceeding to update your system:
1. Completely uninstall the antivirus program or any other security program from your system.
2. Disconnect any USB connected devices that you don't need. (e.g. USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card, etc.).
3. Be patient…the update takes a few hours to download and install.
4. Before applying the methods mentioned below, run first the Windows Update Troubleshooter from Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.
Method 1. Delete the Windows Update folder.
The Windows Update folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution), is the location where Windows stores the new updates after downloading them. In many cases, the "SoftwareDistribution" folder's contents become corrupted and cause problems during downloading or installing updates. At these cases all these problems can be easily bypassed if you delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder.
To delete the Windows Update folder:
3. From the list of services, at the right pane locate the Windows Update service.
4. Right click on "Windows Update" service and choose Stop. *
5. Close "Services" window.
* Note: If you cannot stop the Windows Update service, then:
a. Double click on it to open its Properties.
b. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click OK.
c. Restart you computer.
d. After restart, continue to the next step.
6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
7. Locate and then Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. *
1. If you cannot delete the folder with error "Folder in use – try again", then restart Windows in "Safe Mode" and repeat the procedure.
2. If you have disabled the Windows Update service (Startup type = Disabled), then go to services and set the Startup type to Automatic.
Method 2. Download and install the Windows 10 v1709 Update Manually.
The next method, to resolve the issues while downloading or installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators update 1709, is to download and install the update using the "Windows Update Assistant": To do that:
1. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
2. When asked, click to Run the "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe" file to start the installation immediately, or click the Save button to run the installer later.
3. Finally click the Update Now button and follow the on screen prompts to install the Update.
Method 3. Repair System Files with SFC.
If you still experience problems with the Windows Update installation, then try to repair Windows System files by using the SFC command line tool. To do that:
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator. To do that:
a. In the Search box type: cmd (or command prompt).
b. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
3. When the SFC scan is completed, try to install the Windows 10 Fall Creators 1709 update again.
Method 4: FIX Windows corruption errors with the DISM command line tool.
The next method to fix Windows 10 Update v1709 installation problems, is to repair the Windows image using the DISM command.
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Be patient until DISM repairs component store.
4. When the operation is completed, you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired.
5. Close command prompt window and restart your computer.
6. Check for updates and install them.
Method 5. Repair Windows 10 with an in-place Upgrade.
Another method that usually works, to fix Windows 10 update problems, is to perform a Windows 10 Repair-Upgrade. For that task follow the detailed instructions on this article: How to repair Windows 10.
That's it! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.